Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 154

53 Cavalier, BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

No start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Ok I need a refresher course. I have a new battery , plugs, wires and the carb is sucking gas out of a gas can. The engine turns over but no spark at the coil. Cap was cleaned , points look good. I took off the center coil wire put it on some metal and no spark. What did I miss. Oh its a 1953

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:32
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: No start
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Was it running ok BEFORE u did the tune up???? i.e. did u at your own hand with your own eyes and your own ears witness the engine running BEFORE u did the tune up???

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is it 6v or a 12volt conversion????

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
The car has not started in 2 years.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:41
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Remove the wire between coil and distributor at dist and scratch that against the block. With key on, if there is a spark then look for a short in dist with something you did --either a screw too long or possibly a faulty component. Perhaps new points are oxidized from sitting or not making a connection. There is a very flexible wire from outside terminal to points covered with a fabric insulation. That fabric deteriorates and wire can short if moved much from original position. If there was a lot of cranking, the battery voltage can drop to the point that while cranking there is not enough to fire the coil. Particularly apparent if battery cables are modern replacements and too small.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
6 volt

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:44
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
REmove distributor cap.
Rotate engine unitl points are OPEN.
turn on ign sw.
Hook a test lite on the coil terminal that goes to SIDE of distributor and other leg of test lite to steel distributor housing anywhere.
IF lite shines then rotate engine until points close and the lite should go out (or become extremely dim).

THe above procedure with prescribed results would indicate a prelimnary check as "OK". Then we move on from there.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As HH56 indicates:
Make sure the fabric covered wire and any other wires under the cap are not shorting out against any internal part of the distributor.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 9:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved