Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1932 902 differential
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
Hi, My 1932 902 differential is leaking at the bolts that connect the front section to the center section. I tightened the bolts and it is still leaking. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the front and center sections of the differential? If so where do I go to get it? More importantly, is this an easy fix? I'm not a mechanic and am concerned that I might mess it up more by opening this up. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 23:45
Just something to do while I'm waiting for Jesus.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1932 902 differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Curtis:

Yes there is supposed to be a gasket.

However, if you don't want to tear the whole car apart you can try the following stop gap method:

a) drain the differential oil and let unit drip over the a few weeks.

b) using pre-sol, scrapers, rags, etc clean the surfaces methodically.

c) apply a high quality silicone sealer around the joint and let cure over 24 hours.

d) make sure the vent is not clogged.

This might avoid removing the axles, drive shaft, etc etc to replace the gasket.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/9/19 8:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
Thanks, Tim for the response. I don't mind taking the time to replace the gasket, but I'm wondering. Are there some special presses or tools I'd need to do the job? Also, what kind of gasket do I use and where do I get one? Or do I need to make it myself?

I've used silicone on other things and it just doesn't seem to last.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis

Posted on: 2011/11/15 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Curtis:

Modern cars are using sealer as the only gasket for differentials and so I have complete faith in the better products. One sealer that is really good is Chrysler ATF RTV Transmission Silicone Sealer. It cures in the presence of transmission oil and is used on tranmission covers sans any gasket. Another good one is Permatex Super Blue and Permatex Right Stuff. I have been able to use the products to make non-pressure dynamic seals which means they are really good.

To make sealers work, the surfaces need to be meticulously cleaned and free of high burrs and old gaskets.

A method I use on tough jobs like the Packard Ultramatic is to screw everything together snug and then let the sealer cure for 24 hours or more. Then I torque the parts and compress the sealer for an impervious gasket.

For your differential you don't have to worry about pre-loads because the unit is a 3/4 floater and comes out as a unit. A 1/64th inch thick gasket (.015) is the best but 1/32 (.030) will do. You can get these via the Felpro catalogue from NAPA etal, or online from McMaster-Carr.

And yes I would use sealer to put the parts back together even with gaskets.

Hope everything here helps.

Posted on: 2011/11/15 17:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
Thanks Tim, I'll give it a go. ...and share it along the way.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 8:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved