Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

If you have the Olds oil pump, how much oil do you put in when changing oil?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
If you have the Olds oil pump, how much oil do you put in when changing oil? Assume that the filter is being replaced at the same time....

In other words, do you fill to the factory level or do you continue to overfill?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/10/24 19:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: If you have the Olds oil pump, how much oil do you put in when changing oil?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The extra half-quart is like taking chicken soup for a cold.

It couldn't hurt!

Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:45
 Top  Print   

Re: If you have the Olds oil pump, how much oil do you put in when changing oil?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mmmmm.....soup.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I fill to the full line on the dip stick. The overfill by 1 qt recommendation was for oem Packard oil pump in an attempt to cover up the pressure relief valve port and/or the input shaft premature wear point. Over filling should not be necessary with the Olds pump. Won;t hurt anything tho.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree with the above. Safest thing to do is fill to "FULL" line on the dipstick. Although you don't have to worry about low oil level until it's at least 1QT below "FILL".

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have just fitted the High Volume Olds pump kit from Jack Vines into my 56 Patrician and I am delighted with the results. However, I accidentially overfilled the sump by about an imperial ( 20 Fluid ounce) pint and note that when parked on steep downhill driveways, there is a "rumbling-fluffy" noise when the front crank throws strike the oil. It also occurs in similar circumstances on my 54-327 engine installed in my 38-120 Richards. It is not annoying or deleterious and many people would not even notice it, it is just good to understand what causes some "odd" sounds coming from the engine. Best regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (50.16 KB)
154_4ea682adcaceb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (241.36 KB)
154_4ea683205657e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/10/25 4:36
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
If memory serves, I think we also shortened the length of the dipstick about an inch or so due to the installation of the Olds-Selling pump.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 5:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
We only shortened the dipstick tip. It still stops on the upper limit of the dipstick tube so there is no difference in actual sump depth according to the dipstick...that's how i read it anyway. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/10/26 5:33
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
How much does the pump cost, and what is the total cost to install it?

Posted on: 2011/10/27 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Contact Jack Vines. packardv8@comcast.net

Posted on: 2011/10/27 11:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved