Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vacume tank troubles
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
When I bought my car the tank was disconnected and an electric fuel pump was hooked up. I have repaired several of these on my other cars.I found this 1 had the brass seat coming out so I made it so it would stay in. But now I have intermittent problems some times the tank has fuel in it and will not drop it into carb. other times there is no fuel in the vacuum tank. if the car has 14 to 15 inchs of vacuum at the manifold should the tank have the same or close to that when calling for fuel? also when I take the lid off and putting vacuum to the area where the brass seat is it does loose some vacuum should this be air tight when the float is up? maybe I should buy a new lid. thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 3:41
 Top  Print   

Re: vacume tank troubles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
15 inches of vacuum should pull fuel from the tank. I don't understand how fuel could not get to the carb if there is fuel in the vac. tank. It is a gravity system at that point.

Vacuum pressure should be close to manifold pressure while the tank is filling. It will be near zero when the tank is full, as the chamber is open to the atmosphere at that point.

As for the other intermittent behavior, it might be helpful to post a photo showing what seat you had to repair. Was it the atmosphere inlet or the vacuum inlet?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks in the rest of the system? If you have a leak at the windshield wipers, for example, it will effect the ability to pull fuel. Also, is there a chance you are getting air in the fuel line from the gas tank to the vac. tank?

I hope this helps. Others with more experience will hopefully chip in.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2012/3/24 15:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Just about every line was in the wrong spot I will try to add a picture also I have a inline fuel filter before the vacume tank thats new

Attach file:

jpg  (58.32 KB)
3379_4f7177dc6733e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/27 3:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Your lines look correct. I would remove the filter before the tank. You don't want any restrictions in the line before the vac tank. You should have a bowl style filter at the bottom of the tank.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 9:15
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved