Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 28 »

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mark, thanks for the confirmation. Feather Brown it will be.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 9:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I hear you on the heat Howard. This past week here in So. Calif for sure has been brutal. It kept me out of the garage. Sunday we had a recorded temp of 111f.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 21:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah, but whats the humidity levels out there in the wild wild west????
About 3 percent??????

So when it hits 100?+ then is the airconditoner used or the swamp coolers?????

Posted on: 2013/7/3 21:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One winder air condeeeeetioner running here for less than 10 hours and it has half filled a five gallon bucket with water. And that is.just one of 4.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't speak for Kev's area but for this area, the humidity has been quite high. Granted, not what you on the East are used to but instead of the normal 20% or so here it has been up in the 60% range for the last week. We are not used to that so coupled with the well over 100 degrees, it has been stifling.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There's been way too much emphasis placed on refrigeration in the post war era. I can go back many decades well into the 1950's . Many shops, dealersships as well as many office environments had no AC whatsoever.
Just get out there and sweat.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Can't speak for Kev's area but for this area, the humidity has been quite high. Granted, not what you on the East are used to but instead of the normal 20% or so here it has been up in the 60% range for the last week. We are not used to that so coupled with the well over 100 degrees, it has been stifling.

We've recieved CA weather up here these last few days with temps in high 90s and low 100s a couple of days. Howard's coment on unusual humidity goes for Oregon too. The last couple of Summers have been unusually "sauna like" and this one looks to be more of the same.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 2:30
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

I was in Portland last August when you had temps that were nearly 100f. I took the Shanghai Tunnels tour, and people were dropping like flys from the heat and stuffy air.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 18:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Howard,

To Keith about sweating. Here locally our summer monsoons have arrived. We derive much of our yearly rainfall during this period. This morning I went outside to tidy up the '56 Packard I attempting to sell for a friend, and humidity hit me smack in the face as my porch gauge (we are used to single digit humidity) read 60-70%! I chuckled and thought of your comment of a couple of days ago and I did what you instructed. It actually felt good when a slight breeze found me. This is our 36th day in a row over 100 degrees (were are indoctrinated to believe its a dry heat most of the year) and I'm glad I'm not living in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

HH......I'm following your Clipper project with much interest.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 18:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not a tremendous amount accomplished since the last post because of the heat and lack of being much in the mood to work. More mechanical stuff bolted on. Front brakes done and other little odds and ends looked at.

The new firewall piece arrived from Quiet Ride. It is a very nice copy and I'm pleased with it. A couple of holes are not cut and will have to be duplicated. Probably better that way anyway since they can use one basic piece for all and all might not have the same options. As Joe mentioned, the material they make it out of doesn't quite match the original cardboard pattern but it's decent and will be mostly hidden. Since mine will be about half covered with carpet anyway, the mismatch is not a big deal and so much nicer than the old one.

Since there were apparently no more of the already made pedal shaft repair kits, decided I had to do my own. Fortunately, the bushings were not in terrible condition and measured out well. That's good because they don't look to be the easily replaceable type.The shaft was where the wear was and sad to say I didn't look at it closely enough the first time and missed it completely.

The original shaft looks to be ordinary steel. McMaster didn't have 7/8 in regular so had to get an 8" length of precision shaft. It is hardened so had to do cutting with abrasives instead of cutting tools. Cut about 3/4" off and ground the necessary D notch in one end to fit the frame and the retaining ring groove in the other. Hardening goes only so deep so easy enough to drill the center for the grease passage. Got about 1/3 of the way before I needed a longer bit. Since I didn't have one or want to go to the store just then, had a different idea.

Decided since the clutch side was the badly worn spot and being at the far end of passage, it was not getting a full shot of grease. The grease guy probably quit when he saw grease coming out of the brake pedal since it's right next to the gun. I drilled & tapped the pedal bottoms for a zerk and will thread them in. Goes into the same space between the bushings where the original passage opens into. The bottoms are open and accessible so should be easy enough to hit both with a grease gun. If not, the original shaft method can be completed easily enough.

Anyway, that's my story and sticking to it.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.46 KB)
209_51e9a8a2abe7c.jpg 640X409 px

jpg  (26.88 KB)
209_51e9a8aaeff21.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/7/19 15:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved