Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 190

kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, Ernie Vitucci, BigKev, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Spark Plugs
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
" Heat ranges - Why are they important to me?"

Owen gives a good explanation.

I mite add:
A plug that is too hot (way too hot) can cause engine damage such a burned hole in piston or edge of valve. HOWEVER, such a plug that is too hot would cause rather obvious and conspicuous symptoms such as a rather loud spark knock. Obvious and conspicuous to the exteant that a reasonable and sober minded individual would take action not to over load the engine and to replace with a colder plug at some very near future convenient time before running the engine too hard.

The hotter the plug the better the gas mileage. But of course there are limits as indicated above. The hotter the plug the SHORTER the plug life.

The COLDER the plug the HOTTERR the engine has to run. Too cold of a plug not likely to cause engine damage because the engine will run like shit so bad that u won't want to drive it and maybe not even get it start in cooler weather.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 17:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I like this question:
Quote:
" Heat ranges - Why are they important to me?"

THat is probably the best question ever asked in ANY forum.
Based on my experience over the las t 40++ years i confidently proclaim that at least 80% of the worlds mechanics, Auto tecks, hot rodders, parts suppliers, automotive "experts", etc etc have never thot to ever ask that question let alone even be able to determine the heat range of a plug held in their own hand. And thus all of the controversy and problems surronding spark plugs over the many decades that i know of.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe AC 43LS and AL 437 should be just fine for your hot climate but i would not go any colder than that.

WHy are u replacing the plugs anyway??? Having somekind of problem???? What is it???? Maybe a hotter or colder plug mite be needed!!!

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
So is there an advantage we would see in our cars with platinum plugs over the regular basic copper & nickel or is the advantage strictly that the mfg can call it something else and charge more?

The Autolite 65 O_D mentioned for 56 comes in a platinum version, a double platinum and apparently an Iridium version. Expect variations would be available for the recommended 55 plug as well.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that the AC book (1976) crosses 43LS into AL52.

Now, MOST Likely a an AC book of say 1971 would probably cross it into some other AL number. OR a book from 1980 into a 3rd completely different number OR a book from 1985 into a 4th unique number OR .... OR ..... OR .... OR......

GEt the picture???? This would hold true for other manufacturers that are NOT AC.

THAT is the problem that surrounds spark plugs.

Has noone but me ever tried to buy NOS or NORS spark plugs at swap meets or eBay?? Tried to look at the NUMBER ON the plug to determine it's characteristics?????

That is THE one and only problem surrounding plugs.

THAT plain and simple and that's that.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUote:
" an advantage we would see in our cars with platinum plugs over their regular basic copper & nickel..."

I wouldn't waste a dime more to try it. But if that is all that is available then i'd have to. Most people are going to replace plugs according to some prescribed maintenance schedule anyway regardless if the plugs are solid gold, platinum inlaid and ivory insulated with a no questions asked life time gaurantee of MEthusala.

So what's the pooint of the platinum????

Price a set plugs for a 98 or later F Triton engine. Better set on toilet with big roll of toilet tissue before u do.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pt coated plugs:

I don;t really know for sure but could Pt plugs, especialy any REPLACEMENT such plugs, fall into the same category as REPLACEMENT catalytic converters??????

From at least 3 scrap haulers i've talked to they claim the major scrap BUYERS simply will not take REPLACEMENT cat convertes. Only OEM converters. And the buyers seem to be able to recognize such converters from a few feet away. I don't know how to do it.

Since the scrap BUYERS are after the Pt in the converters then is it reasonable to assume that the PT used in such replacement converters is in someway inferior to OEM????

Could the same concept apply to PT plugs????

Real world it is often practiced to just replace spark plugs in some attempt to remedy an engine problem without, or with very little, pre-diagnosis.

So even if the Pt plug will last double the life of a regular plug then it most likely will fall victim to some real world practice rendering it's alleged 'better quality' useless.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Years ago,

I wrote to Champion Spark Plugs Co.,, because, you could not longer get NY-18 sparks plugs, the closest plug NY-16, have not seen them around now.

PT ,they said it would be a waste of money to use PT plugs for Packard.

Now i am looking for the current replacement spark plug. Another call to Champion.

rik

Posted on: 2012/5/20 13:09
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess you are insisting on Champions? I've just had outstanding results with AutoLites in quite a variety of different Packards, plus they have the added advantage for those interested in authentic appearance that the shells are black oxide, not cadmium plate.

The AutoLite webpage look up for spark plugs covers all years and all Packard engines from 1958 back to the teens and gives a current recommendation.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll have to agree with Owen on the Autolites which is most likely the same or close to Motorcrafts. Ofcourse my first choice is AC.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 17:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved