Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

trunk finishes for a 39 120 sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Working on the trunk of my 39 4 dr sedan this afternoon. I cleaned off what appears to be undercoating on the floor of the trunk compartment, and the remains of the spray on "mouse-fur" on the sides of the fenders. Found a few small pin holes in the floor that I will fiberglass. Some questions:
1. What is the appropriate material for the floor? Undercoating/Rhino Deck/black spray paint? I would like to have some degree of soundproofing as part of the solution.

2. On the driver side of the compartment, there is a piece of sheet metal, running parallel to the side of the car, and extending about six inches vertically. On the passenger side is a steel shelf bracket echoing the profile on the opposite side. There are two pieces of non stock plywood on it, creating a shelf above the spare tire. Should the plywood be cut straight on both sides, or should it extend to echo the profile of the side walls?

3. Did the Junior series have a rubber or carpet floor in the trunk?

I will probably order some of the spray on mouse fur flocking for the sides.

Comments please.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:45
 Top  Print   

Re: trunk finishes for a 39 120 sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Be interesting to see or hear about your results with the "mouse fur" on the complete trunk. Are you going to pick a standard color flock or do you have a decent enough bit of the original stuff left Flockit could make a custom blend close to the 39 color Packard called Brookwood Beige.

I applied nylon flock on the cardboard piece back of the seat. Didn't have anything decent of the original flock left on mine for a good color match other than it looked brownish so used a standard color. I used nylon because the fibers are slightly larger although still not as large or coarse as the original material.

Even though not originally flocked, the piece turned out looking pretty good and much better than the dull black replacement cardboard would have looked otherwise.

Wish I could offer info on your questions but prewars are a bit out of my field.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.99 KB)
209_537180b010369.jpg 380X665 px

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the info on the flocking. There was a fair amount of flocking left - it was a dark gray. But that could have been from old age.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
3. Did the Junior series have a rubber or carpet floor in the trunk?

Rubber.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Does anyone have a picture of what the rubber trunk floor liner looked like? Was it textured, ribbed, or smooth?

Posted on: 2014/5/13 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On page 86 of the 39 data book there is a photo of the shelf. Not much detail but maybe the description of the trunk which says there is a padded space for the tools on the left side would mean something. No photo of the mat though. Just says it is rubber.

In the 38 data book there is a photo of a coupe trunk which looks as if the shelf is form fitting. I would think it would have to be in two pieces in order to be fully inserted into the wider spots.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 10:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I will look at the 38 data book, thanks. I've ordered a flocking kit, and will post photos of the process when I get it.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
I looked at both the 38 data book, and the 41 data book. Neither has a trunk picture that shows detail of the trunk, besides dimensions.

What have others used as a trunk liner? I'm looking to replace the mottled copper/bronze/black indoor outdoor carpet the the previous owner put in mine.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2014/5/13 12:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ribbed rubber floor runner is available in widths wider than the trunk so doing it in one section is easty. It's readily available from most any good floor covering or industrial shop. MSC sells it also, and no doubt McMaster-Carr does also though finding it locally will save freight. You could use it either ribbed or plain side up. I'll try to get you a photo of the original pattern this weekend.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Owen-Dyneto - does the rubber mat go on top of the wood shelf as well as the metal floor (below the spare tire?

I sprayed rust converter on all of the metal in the trunk this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll spray a 3M undercoating on the metal deck, but haven't decided if I should do the fenders as well. The flocking material should be here next week.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 15:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved