Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Antenna Repair
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
The power antenna in my '54 Convertible stopped working. Is there anyone who repairs them?

Posted on: 2017/5/21 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Antenna Repair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might call Tucson Packardhttp://www.tucsonpackard.com They have rebuilt them in the past and may still do so.

Do you hear the motor run but antenna does not move or does it move but then stop after a few inches or does nothing at all happen when you pull or push the knob?

Posted on: 2017/5/21 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
It was working. Now I get nothing when I push or pull the knob. The switch is good and I jumpered the ground to no avail.

Posted on: 2017/5/22 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did you check to see if there is an inline fuse? If there is one, it will be in the wire connected to the center terminal of one type switch or, if a different model switch was used, the wire feeding two terminals on one side of the switch to wherever it is picking up power -- most likely the ignition switch. There are other places power can be picked up so that decision could have been up to the installer. The fuse was not on all antennas but did appear on some installs.

If there is no inline fuse, some of the motors had internal circuit breakers. That item could have failed so antenna will require removal and a check or rebuild.

Posted on: 2017/5/22 11:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
The switch is getting power and transmitting power so says the voltmeter.

Posted on: 2017/5/22 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have voltage then probably the circuit breaker -- or maybe the brushes have worn too small to make contact. IIRC, the brushes have bronze springs behind them which could have overheated and lost strength. There is a slim chance the ground has been lost if the screws holding the motor assy together have loosened.

The breaker is located on the brush support plate but does require the motor to be removed and taken apart to access. CB is in the ground side and that connection is made by brass plates on either side of the support being compressed between cast areas on the halves of the motor. Too much current causes the bimetal strip to heat and bend opening the contact and disconnecting the brush and motor from ground. If undamaged, it should reset when the motor has cooled.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.20 KB)
209_5923322ab9534.jpg 1000X372 px

Posted on: 2017/5/22 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved