Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Packard51, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Automatic Transmission Rebuild/Upgrade?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
I have a receintly purchased a 1954 Clipper that Shows 79k miles and leaks from the front seal of the trans. Does anyone have any advice of where I should take it to be overhauled? I am in the Chicago Area. I am planning to start with asking the local rebuilders and go from there. I had a bad (Expensive) experience with a 1958 Pontiac that I no longer own with a trans rebuild 20 years ago. Guess I did not learn from it since I bought an Older car than that one with an automatic. I see that there is an adapter out there for a 2 speed power glide Transmission, does anyone make an adapter for a GM 700R4? Would love to be able to go highway speeds and keep the RPM's to a reasonable level. It may not even be possible but just asking. Would love to have 4 forward gears. I have not driven my car due to bad tires and brakes. Looking for a treadle vac rebuilder as well. Thanks Bill

Posted on: 2019/8/11 15:17
Life is what you make of it, Plan for the worse and hope for the best!
 Top  Print   

Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuild/Upgrade?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finding competent people willing to work on Ultras is becoming very difficult but maybe someone in the area can recommend a good shop. The transmissions are different in operation compared to other trans of the day and mechanics knowing the ins and outs of what typically goes wrong or needs to be changed is the difficult part.

As to changing the trans the only adapter I am aware of for a 700R4 is made by Bendtsen Adaptershttps://transmissionadapters.com/collections/packard Their kit works well and several have installed the GM trans and been quite happy. As far as I know the kit is mechanical attachment to the engine only so you will need to provide or modify your own linkage and quadrant indicator as well as do any driveshaft and maybe crossmemeber work. The bigger downside on a 54 is they use a mini starter in place of the original which means a conversion to 12V.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 15:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car in stock form is quite capable of highway speeds. If you're looking for even more, there were optional rear axle ratios available.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 16:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
Great thanks for the fast replies! Bill

Posted on: 2019/8/11 16:53
Life is what you make of it, Plan for the worse and hope for the best!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved