Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

29tons, indhd20s, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Torque Converter Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And to answer the question on diagnostic port location, I believe it is between the valve body and the the pumps various routing paths so pressure would read as normal even if the fluid could not get thru the pump area to reach the input shaft.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Well, I pulled the torque converter apart since I had it out. The only thing I found is two of the adjacent large rings had the gaps separated by only an inch. I spread them apart but I don't believe that would prevent the clutch from working. The clutch friction plate has a little wear but not that much. The grooves are still visible, just not as deep as a new one. I can understand why he didn't bother replacing it.

His belief was that the failure was due to not replacing the friction plate, but I would expect at most that would cause a bit of slippage but there's nothing. The DD hydraulic pressure comes on at the port but absolutely nothing is felt. There's no engagement.

The ports are clear at the clutch hub, but there's no visible passageway in the converter for the fluid to reach those ports specifically -- just the gap between the hollow shafts, I assume.

The transmission is not out of the car. Not having an ultramatic apart before I'm not at all familiar with what is required to inspect the front pump and shaft part compatibility. (The only AT I've rebuilt before is a Ford AXOD).

Posted on: 2019/11/23 16:48
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Look at big kevs blog.

He modified his 54. You can see what he did to bell housing. Front pump

Posted on: 2019/11/24 2:10
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Well, it took hours to scroll through the 241 pages. Whew. The only front pump pictures were the in place ones prior to removal and after reinstallation. No discussion regarding the difference between 55 and 56 shaft and pump.

I've attached a picture of the converter shaft. Can someone tell me if it's a 55 vs 56 part?

I take it there's no way to tell what the front pump is without removal of the bell housing and pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (287.81 KB)
2367_5ddb46ed354bc.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2019/11/24 22:14
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Kevin had to cut a groove on the bell housing. Using that you can figure out what pump you have.

If Ross doesn't show
A 55.56 pump

I'll find one here..i might of gave it to Gerry. Psw.

He also can show you the difference .

Posted on: 2019/11/24 22:26
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The teeth are different.

But yeah if it's not off bell housing.

Posted on: 2019/11/24 22:31
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The reactor shaft is different.

Look inside is the bushing cut or no cuts.

Posted on: 2019/11/24 22:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Note in my picture that the converter shaft has the holes in the annular groove just behind the splines. I assume that means it's a later converter shaft or has been modified per the service counselor bulletin. Does that mean it should work regardless of which front pump is present as the fluid could enter the shaft either way?

Posted on: 2019/11/24 23:34
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Far as I know. The shaft you can use on either 55.56.

The oil holes just add more oil on 56.

On the 55 pump. I can't remember. But it's in and He service letters.

Read those and it explains 55 ..56. Has to do with oil. And that's why the holes at end of converter shaft.

I got brain lock. I better bud out.

Posted on: 2019/11/25 0:33
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Okay, I think I'm making a bit more sense out of the service bulletin. So the 55 and early 56 pumps and shafts were 20 tooth splines from the factory and the DDC got oil via the tooth gaps, but with the May 56 publication of the bulletin service replacement parts were made for the transmissions up to that point that added 20 more splines in the gaps. The replacement shaft and pump required the holes drilled into the shaft (why the replacement shaft didn't come with them I don't understand). Mine is configured this way. Late 56 didn't need the holes drilled because the oil pump assembly was changed again to inject the oil at the rear of the pump into the shaft end. (Why the service pump body wasn't this way is a mystery.)

I can assume the service parts were installed since the shaft holes were drilled. The original 20 spline pump rotors can't be there and all the 40 spline rotors are the same.

The pump body could be original, in which case there would be no path for the DDC oil. If it is the service body or a late 56 body, it should work unless the drilled holes would be a leak path for the late 56 body.

So the only possible configuration that could be blocking passage in this case is that the service shaft and rotor were installed without the service body, is that correct? That seems implausible that only two of the three service parts were installed from the kit.

Is there anything else that could be blocking the passage?

Posted on: 2019/11/25 22:18
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved