Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Gummed up carb never rebuilt a carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
John

I'll also recommend not to remove the throttle plates unless it is the last resort.

Soak the carb in solvent for a good amount of time. I use lacquer thinner most of the time, although for freeing-up shafts penetrating oil might be a lot better.

I believe the WCFB features a means to inhibit the opening of the secondary plates until the primary shaft has rotated to part throttle, Also featured is a means where the secondary shaft, if bound, will not inhibit the primary shaft of achieving full throttle. If bound, the force on the secondary linkage is limited to that provided by a short spring.

Be sure the primary shaft is at full throttle and attempt to assist the spring force opening the secondary plates. Temper your zeal! Use light taps, and taping the shaft side to side might help.

I bought a small ultra-sonic cleaner to convince some of the carburetor junk to come out of the internal passages. This is done with 'Simple Green' and water. The cleaner has built-in heaters with an adjustable thermostat which I set to about 100-120 F . . . just so I can touch the parts. I had to change the water about every hour because of the filth.

dp

Posted on: 2020/3/29 11:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks I will try soaking.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 12:11
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Any recommendations on how to remove the cover over the accelerator pump check ball?

Thanks
John

Posted on: 2020/3/29 17:09
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Someone with more recent experience can probably give a more detailed and up to date answer but until then, I don't recall having to do anything special to get it out.

In the meantime, be sure to check out the shop and repair manuals along with the service bulletins that are found here on this site and the rebuild kit should also show an exploded view. If you don't have a rebuilt kit, you'll need to get one as it shouldn't be put back together with old gaskets anyway.

Posted on: 2020/3/29 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
John:
I believe it is much like a freeze-out plug, that is, an interference fit. To remove you place pick or small needle nose pliers in the slots, or slot to outer diameter, and convince the cover to come out of the bore.

Having said that, I will admit that unless I see a lot of crap hiding under the retainer I don't mess with it. If you pour some solvent into the primary float bowl you should see if there is free communication into the pump reservoir. You can keep doing that until the flow is immediate and robust. Since the intent of the ball is to block the flow of fuel from the pump reservoir back into the float bowl, then you should empty and dry the float bowl, and then pour solvent into the pump reservoir. You should be able to fill the reservoir without a ton of flow past the ball back into the float bowl.

The ball is there to impose a restriction to flow path back to the bowl, such that the path of lesser resistance is to the discharge nozzles. The intent is not necessarily a leak free ball check, but that would OK to. If the circuit is clean I suspect that will be OK, and before the carburetor is installed on the car you will probably do an accelerator pump check. During that check you should see evidence that the nozzle flow is OK. You can actually test that circuit as part of the cleaning process prior to assembly. Fill the bowl with solvent, install the pump, and push down with your thumb. You should not see a robust flow back to the bowl.

By the way, in my post earlier in the day, that was the first time I tried to change the font size. I selected <LARGE>, and boy did it come-out large. I wasn't yelling.

Here is the text from a Carter Service Manual

Remove pump inlet ball retainer and check ball from bottom of pump cylinder well by prying the retainer sideways with a 5/16- inch s ix point socket.

I have seen the leather in the pump wear-out, and I have seen a bunch of blocked nozzles, but have not seen a leaking check ball . . . at least not yet.

dp

Posted on: 2020/3/29 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks for the help and no problem.
John

Posted on: 2020/3/29 20:36
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While you're working on the carburetor, be sure to check out the various WCFB technical updates to be sure that yours has all those done. They can be found in the Packard Literature and Manuals area and one such document is here to give you an ides of what to look for. Also check the 1951-1954 Service Manual's Fuel system section.

Posted on: 2020/3/30 14:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks
John

Posted on: 2020/3/30 20:29
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
I cleaned the carb and am putting it back together but I am unsure were this goes. Is it a check under the accelerator pump nozzle bolt?
Thanks
John

Attach file:

jpg  (462.50 KB)
3978_5eaf0b2e3cfc4.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/5/3 13:20
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks. I have those which are bigger. This was at the bottom of the soak tank after cleaning so not sure where it came from.

John

Posted on: 2020/5/3 13:36
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved