Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 7
Guests: 230

packardsix1939, HH56, Don B, BigKev, soulrenovation, Bob J, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 72 »

Re: 51Packard's....51 Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a note, for those with '54 Gear Start, the kick down "bar" is a different length. This is covered in the '55 Service Manual, and also emphasized again later on in SSBs. I think many gear starts meet a premature life because of folks using the older instructions.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 0:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your problem child is the one on the passenger side of the car. That one does the throttle pressure. The one on the other side is the gear selector and should hang down.

I am using page numbers from the regular shop manual issued in 51.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 7:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
OK Ross...I found the picture you were talking about. You do have the eyes of an eagle to spot the wrong positioning of the lever! Thank you so much! At first I was afraid to post too many pictures because I figured this was old hat for most people and has been seen before. Now I'm glad I am posting pics!

8-30-10

It's even hotter here today than yesterday!

While looking at the pic Ross was referencing, I was reminded that I haven't adjusted the bands yet! Tried to loosen the locking nut, but it would not budge. Tried both sides. Is there a trick to this? I'm thinking I need to put a socket on it (15/16?). I tried a 1" but it was a little loose. Of course I don't have a 15/16 socket! Tried an adjustable wrench, but didn't really have a lot of room to put a lot of torque on it. Are these supposed to be really tight?

The manual also references a valve body adjustment. They want me to put it in reverse and measure something sticking out 5/16". Do you think that will be necessary because I really don't understand what or where I'm supposed to be measuring.

Failing those adjustments, I removed the lower connection for the throttle rod and loosened the locking bolt on the lever Ross is talking about and turned it 180 degrees. Before and after pictures below. Got on a step stool and removed the upper connection from the throttle linkage.

Needless to say, the rod doesn't look like the picture! Looks like it has been bent to fit the lever in the lower position. With the lever up, the rod is too long to reach it. Front mounting pin to rear hole, it is measuring 31-1/4". Before I "adjust" it like superman...will this rod be usable in it's current shape? In other words, is the same as important as the distance between the connection points? Also, is the angle bent in it by the throttle connection on the motor correct or another "modification"?

Attach file:

jpg  (79.74 KB)
508_4c7c3e6218f4f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (53.01 KB)
508_4c7c3e718f490.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (199.41 KB)
508_4c7c3e993a36c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (117.06 KB)
508_4c7c3eb776a0a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/8/30 18:30
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The length is the main thing. The shape is just for clearance. As long as it doesn't hit anything the shape doesn't matter.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 21:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is what the '54 Gear Start one looks like. The lever at the tranny is a bit different also.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.49 KB)
1_4c7c6f7207682.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/30 21:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'd say bend it more at the left bend in your photo to get the right length.

Yes, the 5/16 is important!!! If not set correctly, the fluid will not go where it is supposed to as you select each gear. This is one of those fundamental adjustments that make or break a trans job. Luckily, I just took a photo of this very operation a couple of weeks ago. Disconnect the shifter rod. Put the baby in reverse (shifter lever pushed toward the rear of the trans), loosen the bolt shown, and then move the shifter lever back and forth to achieve the 5/16 dimension. Lock the bolt down tight. Done.

Attach file:

jpg  (162.36 KB)
618_4c7c71a4a11ae.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Awesome Ross! I had no idea what they were trying to have me measure. My main comment on whether it was important or not was because I just took the valve body out and reinstalled it, not changing any of the settings. I guess with the throttle linkage being so bad, I had better check all of the settings!

Putting that lever up sure will be a PITA to get reinstalled!

How about the band adjustment? Am I on the right track using a 15/16 socket over the square bolt? Are they supposed to be on so tight? I loosen the lock nut before attempting to loosen the square nut, right? BTW the lock nut on the trans in your picture looks a lot more substantial then mine. Mine looks a lot thinner, unless it is recessed in a hole or something. Hard to tell.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:17
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I wouldn't mess with band adjustment until you get the rest sorted.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your locknuts are probably recessed a bit. Loosen them and back them way out on the adjuster so they don't get in the way as you make the adjustment. They really don't need to be so stink tight in the future as they are only to keep the adjusters from wandering.

With everything else that was done wrong on your trans, there is no reason to believe the 5/16 would be right.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 5:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys...I'm going to buy a socket today for the lock nut and hopefully get it loose. Turbopackman...the main reason I want to do some adjustment on the bands is because I am under the belief that my old style bands are too loose and allowing the band struts to fall away, making me loose L.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 6:53
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved