Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

R H, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Where's The Stop Light Switch On My 56 Executive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The stop light switch itself is connected into the front brake line and is mounted on the top of the D-side frame rail next to the exhaust manifold. It is kind of "hidden" under the left front vent tube, so it is more obvious with the front end jacked up and the D-side tire removed. You can see it through the fenderwell opening.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/4 14:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks for the hot tips. The mechanic has the long weekend off and I will relay all of this to him.

I have a feeling that I'm probably going to replace the stop light switch, sooner or later. The only thing that I must decide is, should I try the replacement 'hydraulic' type, or go with the interior 'electronic' type switch?
I would think that the protected, inside switch would tend to be less trouble.

Bob

Posted on: 2010/9/4 18:06
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is a 3rd alternative to the VW switch and the mechanical switch. A conventional 2-wire brake light switch (NAPA/Echlin SL-134) and a small relay and a little harness. Complete kit costs $33 including the switch from the maker, or $42 from PI. The relay is a "normally closed" for TL operation and opens when the brakes are applied just as the 3-wire switch functioned. Many TL owners have chosen this solution. The relay is very small and installed under the air duct and quite hidden from view. Should you need a replacement brake light switch, they're about $12.

Posted on: 2010/9/4 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
There is a 3rd alternative to the VW switch and the mechanical switch. A conventional 2-wire brake light switch (NAPA/Echlin SL-134) and a small relay and a little harness. Complete kit costs $33 including the switch from the maker, or $42 from PI. The relay is a "normally closed" for TL operation and opens when the brakes are applied just as the 3-wire switch functioned. Many TL owners have chosen this solution. The relay is very small and installed under the air duct and quite hidden from view. Should you need a replacement brake light switch, they're about $12.

I have this solution and mounted the relay inside the passenger compartment to keep it away from exhaust heat. I haven't had a failure in 7 years.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/4 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears you have several good alternatives to the original hard to find Packard switch.

One other thing to consider if you are staying with original hydraulic type switches is the fluid. Dot 3 and 4 do not seem to be an issue but if contemplating changing to Dot 5, then several have mentioned switch failures after the change. The silicone seems to have shortened the life of their switches. I don't know if a modern replacement switch would be better but mechanical would seem to be the best option if you do consider changing fluid just to be on the safe side.

Posted on: 2010/9/4 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I am convinced that the mechanical switch is the way to go. If the simple change of one type of brake fluid for another will render the switch inoperative, why set myself up for failure. My Packard has endured these 54 years, why not another?

One question, does the brake light switch kit come with all the necessary mounting hardware and instructions?

Well, one more...Do I leave the original switch in place when installing the new mechanical switch?

Bob

Posted on: 2010/9/4 21:43
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which kit you refer to but if one mentioned by Owen_Dyneto, believe that is a conventional 2 wire hydraulic switch with a relay to mimic the functions of the 3 wire. I don't know the contents but does work well with regular fluid.

If you are referring to the mechanical GM type switch that clamps onto steering column shown on the other thread, don't think I have seen a kit along those lines but one might be out there. That particular photo is something I threw together for my car many years ago after going thru a couple of switches.

Posted on: 2010/9/4 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
OIC...I guess I got them confused. I have to see how industrious I am to fashion a bracket or to mount the relay. I do like the GM mechanical switch, though, so simple and not dependent on hydraulics.

I'll know better when I get my car back.

Thanks for all of your help. I hope to return the favors,

Bob

Posted on: 2010/9/4 22:08
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
OIC...I guess I got them confused. I have to see how industrious I am to fashion a bracket or to mount the relay. I do like the GM mechanical switch, though, so simple and not dependent on hydraulics.

There must be confusion here as to "switches." The one on the steering column in the other thread is the neutral safety and backup light switch. It has zero to do with the T-L or brake light functions.

Also, "GM mechanical switch" has no bearing here either. Both T-L setups use a hydraulic switch. One is 3-prong and the other is 2-prong with relay.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/4 23:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/9/5 4:57
Bob

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved