Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
green bay...thank you, that is great advice. i will look into it,

cause i am pretty sure i am going to make my own casting, to hold bearing.

packard went aluminum to lighten things up.,, my casting will be out of hot roll,, and hardened..

thanks again for your in put, i have torringtons bearing book and i will show to the shop,, they have their hardness specs. in there..

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/14 23:37
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Green bay, the bronze, forgot about that,,that does wear well,and now they have aluminumized bronze, which as long as oiled will last just about for ever.. i made a set of cam bearings out of it for my dads packard 12.

they use it for roller coaster bearings.

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/15 1:10
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all especially Riki. I applaud your conversion of the rear output bush to roller bearing. It is a bit of an overkill but what the hey. I would however counsel against changing any of the other internal bushes to rollers as all of the mainshaft bushes are used as seals. Good luck in your endeavours. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/4/15 4:39
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
If you are machining a new bearing housing anyway, find a slimline double sealed bearing that will fit over the shaft. Sleeve or chrome plate it up to size and then machine the new housing to fit. This way you have the correct inner bearing race from the right material and the right hardness and the right size. And you only need to hold about a .0004 tolerance instead of one ten-thousandths.

Before you put the bearing in, peel out the rubber seal on the inside. That way it's lubricated and you still get an oil seal where you need it.

If you can only find a narrow bearing with the right ID and OD, put two in side by side and pull out three of the seals.

McMaster.com is your friend.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 6:29
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi, down under,,thanks, but going all the way with needles,,

we will see what happens...

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/15 13:32
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
morning mcmaster.com..thanks,,i have a caged needle bearing,, J-2316..,,which i plan to use, 2 inch bore, which is a few thousandths larger than std, shaft.

the od, is 2-3/8s. width 1 inch. l was going to use it but od was too big,

but since i can take out packards casting,,,and make my own,, will use it..

might get new shaft...

thanks,,

rik

ps....if i knew of this site,,before i got into this, it would of made things easier...

thanks...

Posted on: 2012/4/15 13:39
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
green bay....are you saying to use a bearing with an inner race?....there is not that much room..for that...the shaft is close to 2 inches..with an inner race.. that would be close to 3.5 inches or more od.. if i had rhe room i would do this to all shafts...but no room... i am going to ask the shop...the shaft hardness needs to be 58-65 hrc..

thanks...rik

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:43
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Anyone know what type metal Packard used for Ultramatic?

ft..rr. pumps,planetary,parking gear,driven plate hub,,converter pump shaft.???

thanks rik

if not i will be having them tested..

Posted on: 2012/4/19 20:05
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
This my replacment part for tail shaft bearing, going with inner rings, shafts are to soft, only one hard enough is the driven hub.

inner rings will be fitted to shafts, and then if need be ground to fit needle bearing bore.

some inner rings will just need to be fitted to shafts,

the pictures, the first bracket i made was out of cold roll and a bitch to machine, the other is aluminum, made oil holes but i am leaving it to machine shop to finish, need rotating vise.

i will have pictures for each part..

riki,,

decided to finish the part off,,5-4-2012,,i did get it un even, but was winging it, the small end will go down for more oil flow..

riki

Attach file:

jpg  (9.81 KB)
4498_4fa3696572d44.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (101.73 KB)
4498_4fa36987828bd.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (9.22 KB)
4498_4fa36a0a8a2b8.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (8.20 KB)
4498_4fa36a20b3e30.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (104.17 KB)
4498_4fa4d3939813f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (128.86 KB)
4498_4fa4d3ac844ed.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (122.11 KB)
4498_4fa4d3c37989e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/4 0:45
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Riki, while translating I have often wondered about your salutation lines. The people you talk to have interesting names like "green bay", "down under" and even "McMaster.com" which is perhaps down to the simple fact that you don't know where to find their nicknames. Let me help you. Please take a look at any of the "posts". The nickname of the respective contributor is always written in the left corner of the blue headline.

Best regards,

Germany Guscha

Attach file:

jpg  (16.47 KB)
757_4fa396154c4a3.jpg 500X436 px

Posted on: 2012/5/4 3:40
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved