Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

fuel issue or carburetor issue?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
I've been working on my 1950 Packard 8. She was driving great and recently started stalling out after driving for about 5 minutes. I rebuilt the carburetor (I think correctly) and replaced the fuel pump, but it's still doing it. Tonight, I got it running and after 2 mins, I revved it a little and again, she just died out. I don't know if the carburetor isn't getting enough fuel, if the pump isn't providing enough or what?

Posted on: 2017/8/19 23:58
1950 Packard Standard 8- plain jane no options!
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel issue or carburetor issue?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming it is something fuel delivery related, a few items that have caught others are:

If you have the optional ceramic fuel filter, those can look clean and you can blow thru them but varnish has solidified in the pores to the point that fuel flow is restricted to a trickle.

If the flex hose between the fuel line and pump is old or has been twisted it can have an inner lining that has cracked or loosened. With the suction of the pump it could be allowing a portion of the lining to move and partially block the fuel flow.

In the pump, the bottom chamber contains a screen assy. It can be a mesh screen or stacked plates that need to be disassembled to clean. Tiny rust particles can clog the screen. If the pump is a fresh rebuild that is not likely but if a substitution with an unknown pump then cannot be ruled out.

The vent hole in the gas cap could be clogged or the cap may have been changed to non vented type. There could be something floating around in the tank that is periodically pulled in to block the pickup. That pickup tube opening is nothing more than the end of the tube pointing straight down and positioned about 1/8" or so above a shallow depression on the bottom of the tank. The item could be anything from a chunk of rust or debris to a portion of tank coating breaking free if the tank has ever been treated with a sloshing compound.

If the tank is below half full, one other less likely possibility is the pickup tube could have developed a pin hole at a vulnerable spot at the top of a bend and air is being sucked in.

Posted on: 2017/8/20 8:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
You might try a condenser...if it is old, they will work cold but not as they warm up. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/8/20 15:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good point. Have you definitely narrowed it down to fuel and not electrical. Does it sputter or miss for a few revs like it is running out of fuel or just quit as if the key was turned off. A bad coil or other component or a wire that is shorting out from vibration or movement could also cause the symptom. If your distributor is the type with a fabric covered inner wire running between the points and outside terminal, that wire has been known to ground out as the vacuum advance moves the plate.

Posted on: 2017/8/20 16:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
At this point I have no clue as to what it could be? I'll have to dive into all of these idea's from the easiest on up. Thanks for the input.

The thing that threw me for a loop was that after it stalls out and doesn't start up, I have to restart it with starting fluid or gasoline down the carb till it begins to run on it's own again.

Posted on: 2017/8/20 22:12
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Here's the link to it running this morning after I got back from work.
https://youtu.be/9pRMfcmIJgU

Posted on: 2017/8/21 6:58
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
my 49 did run only for a few seconds after I bought it, with an aditional gas tank (canister put on the heater box) it ran properly. After that expieriance I got the gas tank professionally cleaned and derustet, but not coatet, even the whistle works. My last problem is the filler cap, when it is on, the car stops after a few minutes. I don?t know where the hole in the cap has to be and will test a replacement cap before destroying the original one.

Posted on: 2017/8/21 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure about the later caps but I believe the 49 cap is the same as 47. If so there is a hole directly in the center which opens into a passage above the gasket. When the cap is fastened the pressure does compress the gasket a bit but not so far as to close off the small space between the top of the gasket and the metal outer cap. The air is drawn in under and around the edge of the cap in the space between the top of gasket and the metal top and then into the passage to exit at that hole.

If you have a swollen or extra thick gasket possibly the air would be blocked as the cap is tightened.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.10 KB)
209_599b2d31ef993.jpg 712X577 px

Posted on: 2017/8/21 13:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
I opened up the distributor cap and everything in there is practically brand new. I found out that they rebuilt the entire thing about 10 years ago just prior to my grandfather dying.

This started even before I put in a rebuilt fuel pump so I'm thinking that wasn't the issue after all.

When I rebuilt the carburetor, I now remember that there was an extra part that for the life of me I couldn't figure out where it went. It was a little b.b. looking thing. Almost like a ball bearing. I just read in a post somewhere that the little ball bearing most likely fell out of the carter starter thing? I don't know if that could cause this issue?

Posted on: 2017/8/22 8:19
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car starts with the accelerator pedal, it is not likely the ball for the starter switch as that provides the mechanical connection between the acc shaft and switch. There are small BB sized balls used as check valves in various places so that could be the ball you found

I believe you have a WGD 728S carb and if so, you can download a service sheet showing parts from the literature section.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/CarterWGD728S.pdf Possibly the small ball is item 116-13 which is the check valve for the accelerator pump. There are other service sheets you can download if yours is a different carb.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.07 KB)
209_599c344eeb960.jpg 1000X852 px

Posted on: 2017/8/22 8:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved