Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

Jack Vines, Don B, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1951 Packard 200, "kabusted 288 engine"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
.....IF.. I need a valve job, would you also be thinking that since the engine is out for the valves I might as well finish the job and have it rebuilt too?

It's a slippery slope. How well can you afford to finish it?

Back in the bad old days, many of us would leave the engine in the frame, cover the crank with rags, run a hone down the bores, new rings, hand lap the valves and call 'er rebuilt.

Today, when I rebuild one, it starts with a clean bare block, bored, diamond-honed, decked block and head, line honed main bores, reground crank and cam, re-sized rod big ends, new valves and guides, new bearings, pistons, lifters. All this starts at $3,000 and goes up from there.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/11/7 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I would first do the leak down test and go from there. Once you know where the problem is coming from then look at the next step. It sounds like your engine was in good shape before you notice the low compression.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/11/8 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Wes, PM sent to you.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 13:37
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
An engine of that age is due for a complete rebuild at 97000 miles if not before.

It's the if not before that bothers me. If it was rebuilt already then it might be possible to fix what is wrong without taking the engine out of the car.

The only way to know for sure is to take the head off and examine the valves and cylinders. If the cylinders are not scored or worn over .007 they do not need to be rebored. Valve guides can be knurled or replaced and valves can be ground or replaced in the car.

If the cylinders are ok you will need to take the pan off and see how the bearings and journals look.

Rings, valves and possibly new bearings will put your engine back in commission for 30000 to 50000 miles if it is not too worn.

But with 97000 miles chances are you need a complete engine out rebuild, unless it was already rebuilt.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Rusty O\'toole
PM sent to you.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 14:59
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Packardguy I don't know why you chose to use PMs. It is inconvenient and unnecessary. This thread may be of benefit to someone else with the same problem. Also I may make a fool of myself again and someone smart can correct me. Therefore I will give you a public answer.

It sounds like you are not too familiar with old cars or any cars. For something that is this serious you need to consult a good mechanic. Are there any antique car clubs in your area? Can they recommend a mechanic?

Trying to answer your questions from this distance, without seeing the car, is like trying to diagnose an illness by long distance. Are those red spots acne or measles? Or does the kid just have freckles? Before we tell you to saw his leg off better see a real doctor.

Bad compression indicates something wrong. It is actually fairly common on cars of that age. Mechanics would do something called a ring and valve job and the car would be good as new.

This was normally necessary at around 50,000 miles and the car would go for another 30000 or 40000 miles. Then the engine would be shot and due for a complete rebuild, or scrap it and buy a new one.

In other words, your car passed its Best Before date when Cher was a virgin.

Now what is to be done? That depends on the condition of the engine and whether it has had major work done on it before.

I don't know the answer to that question. If I had your car in front of me I could figure it out in a few hours, maybe less.

This is where finding a good mechanic comes in.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Packardguy, I agree with Rusty, this is a good place to keep track of what work you do and advice that you get. We all make mistakes from time to time and with this find group watching what is posted this may help you make the best decisions.
Yes with an old engine with over 50,000 miles, the normal would be to do a rebuild but I'm no expect so I would like to know what is failing. So I would do a leak down test first, checking to see if the leak is coming from the cylinder, inlet valve or exhaust valve. Then after this, if it's a leak in the valve or valves, since you haven't done a valve adjustment this would be a good time to do one.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/11/8 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I deleted my last post due to: perhaps I'm being overly sensitive.

Suffice it to say, I've had trouble posting on this forum and have been sending PM's to contact fellow car folk that have responded to my issue. I'm sorry for any issues caused by the PM's.

Regards. Steve Fisher

Posted on: 2013/11/8 19:18
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don't be too sensitive. We all had to get used to posting on this forum and we all make mistakes. Just remember, you are among friends here. We all want to see you succeed.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 20:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
As with any written social media, you can't hear the tone of voice or see body language. Suffice it to say, we all have a common interest - Packards! We all want to see as many as possible saved and enjoyed! I really wanted a 55 Senior car, but settled for my 51 Patty. It's my first Packard. I've learned a lot from everyone on here. I've had plenty of other cars, mostly Chryslers, but always have wanted a Packard, Kaiser or Hudson (in that order).

My Patty is what I could afford at the time, and the wife likes it. I'm gonna do my best with what I can. It'll take me forever, but with help from this site, it'll be a lot easier! I've enjoyed every blog and post and look forward to the next each time I log on! Thanks to everyone, especially Big Kev!

Posted on: 2013/11/8 23:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved