Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Packard 400 After Market Vintage Air Conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Photos of this AC installation on a '55 may help.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (98.89 KB)
565_5342d77991ad4.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (97.59 KB)
565_5342d78fc6286.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/4/7 11:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nicely done. That bracket looks like the MarkIV with a universal flat York to Sanden conversion plate added. Not sure those even bolt to the head directly -- just the front bolt to water manifold and the outlet.

If that is the type you have and with a leaking outlet gasket, I would look seriously at the condition of the outlet and flange and also the spacer to make sure the bracket is above the outlet flange edges so a large contact surface is not trying to tilt the outlet. Not sure how much you can get your bracket out of the way when working on the thermostat to get a good view but any chance a remnant of the old gasket is still stuck onto a hard to see surface and that is causing the leak.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Hh56 has the best advice. Convert t'stat bolts to studs and nuts. Then fit compressor bracket to studs.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 13:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
that little thing cools the car,, packards is huge,

my no cents , yap, studs,

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:13
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Thanks for all your suggestions. The advice to start from the t-stat and work and shim down was what took up most of Day two, and at the end of Day three, with another disassembly and more shimming, the leak is still there. When the engine is revved, the pump will pulse and spray out the top, just under the A/C foot plate. Right now, after another six hours, I am going to call a temporary truce and straighten up after leaning over things to no avail. This is proving to be a nice geometry lesson on the relationship of brackets and bolts.

I learned the hard way why you should put a punctured tennis ball on the hood latch spikes, top and bottom and those nice pointed 56 fenders always seem to be in the way. Tomorrow is another day to practice what I have learned, and if it doesn't turn out much better for the effort, then there's one more day left in the week to return the car to the way it left Conner Street....without A/C. I'd rather be able to drive it than stay cool.

I come from stubborn stock so there's always a good chance that I will be victorious in the coming months. But "giving it a rest" is the best way I know to keep from breaking things and yelling at innocent loved ones. Besides, another way to work around the problem often comes after a good night's rest.

And thank goodness that this old car is not my only transportation. If it were, temper and cursing would take on new dimensions.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Unbol the bracket/compressor assembly and secure it in the engine compartment (NOT NECESSARY TO DISCONNECT ANY LINEs).
Now with t'stat housing with clear and ez access retourque and or replace gasket to detetmine if leak problem stops. Most likely it id a rusted t'stat housing .with a PIN HOLE leak. The PV8 t'stat housing is a flimsy cheap ass sheet metal configured piece of garbage. So mite need a new one

Posted on: 2014/4/7 21:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
Thank you for everyones input! This is great information. This will be helpful when we get to the point to install AC. Keeping it COOL....Thanks Again

Paul

Posted on: 2014/4/12 7:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another word on brackets. While looking for another old thread, ran across a post mentioning a commercial bracket. Think it was from Jerry at Yesterday's Radio but can't find the post again to link. Did copy the photo when I ran across it though. The poster mentioned Classic Auto Air had a bracket. From the photo, it looks as if it started out similar to or may even be the one Nordstrom makes.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.03 KB)
209_534944a63a2fe.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/4/12 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved