Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Chev drivetrain swap on these cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
ha, HA, HAAA! These projects take long enough than to spend more time to debate the motor. They're a little more sympathetic to swopping on the modifications page but not much... HP/weight - 130/800 - how can anyone honestly say they're much more than boat anchors??? Torque is sufficient. Quiet, smooth running, etc. but HP/wt?
I guess we need a fix for the L8 to push the ponies up to modern standards, but that's why they dumped this design, the crankenstein is tooooo long for it's diam. It has to get bigger in diam. to handle more power.

You are leaving out part of the story. Developed horsepower is only one factor. For every day performance, high torque and a wide power band are at least as important, maybe more important.

The stock long stroke engine will idle down to a walking pace in high gear and pull away without a buck. Then accelerate to a top speed of 85 to 90 MPH. In normal driving the 130HP engine is as satisfactory as a modern short stroke V8 with twice the HP. The only place the V8 would really shine is at high speeds, over 70, where most people seldom go especially in a 60 year old Packard.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Only in rodding is a pushrod V8 a "modern" engine

Posted on: 2014/4/22 7:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The L8 published torq is not very much <200, as I recall. It's gear ratios that make it move.
But this thread was about swapping motors, not defending them.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here in Michigan it's not possible to drive a Packard.

The roads are complete ruin and the crooks in Lansing have no intention of fixing them. The other day I slowly passed a hole in the road that was at least 2 feet long 1 foot wide and a foot deep. On an expressway ramp no less.

Yet the people drive like maniacs. Today I was doing 75 in the slow lane and being passed. I only drive on roads where I can keep track of the potholes. People hit potholes that rip the entire suspension out from under their cars. They don't even care.

I just putt around and let them tailgate me, pass me, get pissed, whatever, and hope they hit a huge hole in the road ahead.

That said, if you like the look of the car but can't drive it because of it's poor performance then what the heck? Let the purists preserve the nice original cars that are going to waste.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 17:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved