Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 157

wjames, CarFreak, Marvin, jgrohn, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Missing at Higher RPM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Steve:

You are doing a lot of work but not getting any data so you can make the right decision.

If the dwell reading changes over 3 degrees when you raise the RPM to 1500 then the distributor is a problem. (that's straight out of the Sun Distributor Manual). If you can't get the Packard dwell angle that means you have a distributor problem.

The vacuum advance should hold vacuum. If you simply suck on the line it should hold a vacuum and tug on the breaker plate. You can buy a hand pump to test it as well. If you raise the RPM without being under load the vacuum advance will be active so disconnecting it is retarding the timing. Thus, driving around with it disconnected won't hurt the motor. It will be sluggish. However, if you have some kind of internal carburetor vacuum leak disconnecting the advance might reduce the symptom.

Go to your friendly NAPA and buy a KD adjustable spark tester. You should have at least 20k on that motor preferable 24k. If the ignition switch is shot you'll need to put a relay into the primary ignition to supply adequate voltage.

Next get the car into the misfire range and run it for a few minutes. Then kill the motor. Pull the plugs and check the condition. Soft black velvet means weak spark. White means lean misfire - less likely when not under load but still possible.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you, Tim. I will check it out.
Warren

Posted on: 2014/4/25 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try a different condenser.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Well, I solved my problem...we were all on the right track with the ignition system. I am practically ashamed to admit...the distributor to coil cable was not fully seated in the coil. It was apparently arcing and built up a sort of waxy film at the end of the brass contact that seats in the coil receptacle socket. I cleaned off the contact and cleaned out the coil receptacle socket, then fully seated the contact into the coil. The engine runs like new at any RPM. I suppose I should have started with the simplest thing first. Thanks for all your patience and help in dealing with me.
Warren

Posted on: 2014/4/26 18:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved