Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

kevinpackard, charlieshot, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Shift linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Sorry Ross, no turnbuckle on that shaft. The other two that do the shifting have one. I figure something worn. Not sure why it should be, by all accounts and info I have on my car, the 34000 miles is correct. I'll try the alignment procedure and see if the linkage is out of whack and put the whack back in. The engine in my car is said to have been rebuilt, and I believe this to be correct by what I see. So, I think there could be a possibility that when things were put back together, the linkage geometry could have been compromised.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:23
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The forward of the two adjustable links. That'sd the one that "does" 1st and reverse.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 5:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Deluxe...

We had the same problem with 'Miss Prudence' our 1949 Deluxe. The linkage was warn and specifically the washers were wallowed out. We miked the shaft and drilled new washers from the hardware store to fit snug. We used a combination of thick and thin washers, so that when the cotter pin was put back in, everything was really snug. The problem ended. The slack was about 1/4 inch, but it was enough to get the old girl stuck in second.

Ernie

Posted on: 2014/5/23 21:25
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Ross...I kind of wonderex. My bad. Thanks. Ernie...thanks for that tip. I'll be going through it more diligently.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 7:23
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved