Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1947 clipper electric tricks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd be wondering if something else is going on -- perhaps the switch internally or something in the bimetal support is broken or bent?? Having to heat the adj screw to be able to turn would make me think the old thread sealant was intact so doesn't sound as if someone had been playing with the adjusting screw. That was a considerable amount of loss or change of capacity for just ordinary aging.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 8:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 clipper electric tricks
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
I cannot tell what the previous owner/ workshop/ garage/ electrician did to the breaker points.
Anyway: I had to reheat the solder everytime I gave the adjusting screw another turn, so this might have been done before by somebody else. The grey field where the arrow points to could be a clue.
Resized Image

I initially took the switch apart because the first (seen from drivers seat) contact was loose and the head lights did not work. Apparently someone was tinkering with the light switch before and all the cables were connected the wrong way round. It could have worked though were it not for the loose contact.

Anyway: I fixed the loose contact (it is nothing more than an ordinary rivet, just a light tap with a drift punch) and connected the cables the right way round according to the wiring diagram.
This is how the light switch looked inside before I cleaned it and put it together again. Not bad for 67 years!
Resized Image

And here is the connecting scheme of the light switch:
Resized Image

Light regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:07
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved