Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 400 headliner repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
new headliner,

this is what let go,, after 58 years . the thread gave up

Attach file:

jpg  (88.76 KB)
4498_53ee2f007cedf.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/8/15 11:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I am interested in club members experiences with pre sewn bow style headliners. Quality and fit? What materials are available? What prices have been encountered for liners without installation? Prices with headliner and install?

Posted on: 2014/8/15 16:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have bought both presewn and from scratch but since a couple were some time ago, not much price comparison can be offered.

I bought one of Kanters presewn in the 70s for a 56 Patrician. Price was OK and fit was good. I put it in myself and did manage to get one small wrinkle near rear window I never fully was able to get out. Aside from working alone & trying to hold it in position when pulling wrinkles out, it went in without too much drama. The fabric was cotton and quite a bit different in texture and feel from original.

In the early 80s on the 56 Carib HT, the upholster made that from scratch and installed it. The original vinyl has a perforated pattern and he was able to find a Mercedes vinyl which was very close. Price was a bit higher than a presewn would have been but since there were no presewns we could find that were anywhere close in pattern, not much option..

I recently bought another of Kanters presewns for the 47 Custom. Hasn't been installed yet and haven't decided who will do it -- me or the upholster when he does the seats. The material is decent quality but is not exactly the same as Packard used. It looks to be well made though. On the 47 Custom, original was wool but Kanters is a cotton material. A close look and feel but noticeable difference when you compare side by side. Price was about half the cost of the real presewn wool item from Hirsch. Around $500 because of the special long bow pattern on Customs. Kanters regular cross bow patterns are about $100 less. I bought Kanters because I wanted an "inexpensive" item I wouldn't feel guilty having made holes in if a project doesn't work out.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 16:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
the one in picture came from jc whitney, they were around 35 bucks,,now,, 200..

the material will run around 40 on up....then 40 on up to have someone sew it up.

before removing old one, mark center of car, and mark where ribs go...i think someone said that..

Posted on: 2014/8/15 17:46
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks for the info. I think people out there will be interested in this if they are contemplating a headliner project.I had the same challenges when searching for the 55 clipper. 4or 5 years ago I could not find a carpet made of the original material and the headliners of 600-1000 were out of reach. Wool and perf vinyl are also very hard to work with. Making such an investment it would seem logical to have a pro install wrinkle free. The other option is a presewn foam backed cloth in white ,lt gr, etc and can be installed by a DIYer for less than 250.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
one thing i forgot, is , they say to let the headliner relax, before putting it in, let it hang,, or lay it out. for a day or 2,

Posted on: 2014/8/16 0:32
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved