Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 192

BigKev, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Getting young help on your project`
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Well, I got a positive response from the local HS Auto Shop teacher. He's coming over Thurday PM to check out my project. We'll see how it goes from there.

BTW, I have the personal liability and medical insurance covered, although that didn't come up in discussion with the teacher.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/9 18:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'd double check with your insurance agent but pretty sure your personal liability is not good enough.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 20:26
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I had hoped to do similar. I contacted our local High School Career Center and they will not accept personal cars for students to learn on. They are quoting Uniformity and that they only teach with "training segments to ensure that all students are able to get the same types of experiences while working to achieve state and national standards".

I have a few helpers in their early 20's but they are limited on their availability. One will be mh Son-In-Law next summer and he is in Pre-Med so I wont complain. He is worthless when it comes to hand tools so he has a lot of learning but he makes a great Gopher. I had to explain my shirt to him earlier tonight. "18346572- Its a Packard Thing"

Posted on: 2014/12/9 21:16
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
what about the boy scouts?

Posted on: 2014/12/9 22:49
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Troy, maybe you mean: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2? There are other chapters too: 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4 and 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Since you introduced the subject: The Cord 810 and 812 V-8s had a more unusual organization where all the cylinders on one bank were fired then all the others on the other bank fired. It seems to work just fine.

Still, I like the six "code" and may use it.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/9 23:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
oops, typo, thanx, I swear Im getting dyslexic these days. didnt know that about Cord, now Im gonna have to go do some reading.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 9:01
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I suppose that since I've had my 1956 V-8 for only a year or so, I can be forgiven for not noticing the firing order. But fifty years of owning Chevy Small Blocks have tattooed the same firing order into my brain. Now all that Delco-Remy and Rochester stuff is starting to make sense.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

TroyT wrote:
oops, typo, thanx, I swear Im getting dyslexic these days. didnt know that about Cord, now Im gonna have to go do some reading.

Troy, there is a great new book about the 810 and 812 Cords, "The Cord Complete". A comprehensive telling of the design, development, and marketing of the cars. Well worth having on your bookshelf. Reading all the problems encountered with these cars was, to me, a parallel to what Packard was going through with their 1955-56 cars.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/10 12:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Getting help around the garage is difficult at best.

Have you considered the Boys Clubs of America? Also why not discuss the problem with a High School Counselor.

There are boys and girls out there who don't fit into the academic world, who are hands on, have promise, but need to be shown that they can be a success outside of the academic world. Probably make more money and be happier than if they did try to shoe horn themselves into academic courses.

Also you might consider a person from a newly arrived group. Hard work and learning skills are two things recent immigrants are ready to accept.

You may find that helping a young person also helps you if the process is approached with an open attitude.

I look forward to reading of your further efforts in finding someone.

I taught for 40 years and one of my most successful students never graduated, but as a grocery store vegetable and fruit manager he now has 4 rental houses and buying another!!! Zougeride Exotic Tomball, Texas

Posted on: 2014/12/10 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

TroyT wrote:
I contacted our local High School Career Center and they will not accept personal cars for students to learn on. They are quoting Uniformity .....

It is not so much as uniformity as the lesson plan.

My younger brother teaches Automotive at a local junior college and I asked him why younger kids are not working on older cars. He said that the school discovered that none of our old cars fit the what is taught to work on modern cars. Remember the purpose of the school to train the students for a job in a dealership and make a living.

What modern car has a carburetor?
What modern car has drum brakes that need adjusting to avoid pulling or drag?
What modern car has a distributor you can work on?
Points? Condensers? Use of a timing light? Dwell meter?

I could go on and on.

Instead it is all about the re-programming the car's computer chip. Forget about repairing anything, just replace the bad module with a new module. With the average hourly repair rate of $100 you don't fool around with repairs, you just throw new parts at it. Not like back in the day.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 16:30
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved