Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: General Trend for Parts Vendors (NOT MMY specific).
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Jack- Agreed

Posted on: 2015/3/9 17:53
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've known some not so very bright people who operated businesses on Junkbay where all they did was arbitrage available stock through all of this drop shipping crap.

I avoid this problem by checking the shipping method. If it isn't coming through the post office I don't buy it. Post office shipping is almost always from someone who owns what they sell.

UPS is great if you own a business that ships merchandise to another business address, but for all else it pretty much sucks. If I really need something and UPS is the only choice I have it shipped to my business address.

As well UPS has no business taking on some of this drop shipping stuff because it doesn't make economic sense. But that is their choice.

I use Junkbay for items that are obsolete and no longer part of commerce.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Amen Tim Cole. AMEN!!! You got that right. Sure got dhat right.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 21:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I would have to disagree that the method of shipment determines whether the items are shipped from a vendor or drop shipped from a manufacturer or fulfillment center. There are many larger businesses that sell on Ebay and to say simply steer clear because they ship UPS or Fedex because that means they must drop ship their items is just ridiculous. Ebay is just another venue to get your product in front of potential customers. If I question a products availability, I just simply send a email to them and ask if it comes from them or the manufacturer.

We use all three of the major shippers (UPS, USPS & Fedex) at our business. There are many reasons for using certain shippers. First, what does the customer want? Some customers want to use UPS or Fedex because they use a P.O. Box for their USPS mail. Second, not all of our shippers come at the same time during the day. An order that leaves first thing in the morning may go USPS unless specified by the customer because they pick up first, then followed by Fedex or UPS. There are many various factors as to why certain methods are used. But the single most important factor for most vendors is which method will be the most efficient in getting the package to the customer the fastest.

In the end does it really matter what way or means your parts arrive? For me it's "Am I happy with the service from the vendor? Do the parts get to me in what I feel is an acceptable time frame and do the parts fit correctly? "
James

Posted on: 2015/3/11 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And any more the actual shipping or carrier is blurred -- at least for part of the journey in my area. First time I ran into it was last year on an item the shipper said went UPS. Had been tracking it and the final entries were something like "delivered to sorting facility" and "out for delivery". I was expecting the UPS guy to show in his usual 2-3PM range but surprise, it was delivered by my friendly mailman. I asked what was going on and he said the post office has a contract with the shipper and UPS to do final deliveries in certain areas. This also worked to my advantage because since they have that contract, the post office has delivered UPS originating package on Saturdays and even a Sunday -- days UPS doesn't usually deliver.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I can't believe it!!! 15+ happy years with eBay. All of a sudden in less than 3 weeks and 3 purchases (1 amazon, 2 ebay) ALL THREE soured transactions. What's happening??? or is it just me??

Posted on: 2015/3/16 16:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
My intentions are not to be rude in anyway shape or form. But you have just reiterated your intial post question. So please read the posts that everyone has taken the time to post for your answer.

James

Posted on: 2015/3/16 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
While I also explained that I prefer to ship to my orders complete and if back orders are necessary I do not charge extra shipping.

That said, I can clearly understand the frustrations of the multiple shipments and billing.

i.e. Last week I went to make a replacement order for a certain widget. The vendor had 18 in available stock for immediate shipment. I ordered all 18 @ .15 ea. expecting $5 shipping,simple enough. Not,,,,,,

while the vendor has 18 Available they were in three different locations. When all was said and done, my amount due would have been $43 and change.

No way am I going to pay over $10 per shipment for a few $.15 widget. this does sour customers views.

Obviously those of us in business know that shipping is also a profit center. Those who us UPS and FED charge published rates to the customer while paying discount rates to the carriers and thus contribution to Revenue and overhead.

I dont think anyone has a problem with business making a modest profit, just don't make it all off of one deal.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 21:06
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved