Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Cam Plate
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
h,

was going off milled slot, the cam plate is the only thing blocking the cam oil gallery,

the oil gallery is 9/16ths....that volume to me is where lost of pressure,

by using a plug,,mini freeze plug, with a hole in middle,,will hold back oil.

rt side i was thinking, 7/64ths, maybe left too..but my left is not milled to end.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 12:26
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Riki, just my opinion but overthinking this or trying unproven notions which may work or may cause further problems isn't called for, as Jack Vines said (who probably has more experience with this than all the rest of us combined), just install the correct cam retainer plate and be done with it, move on to the next project.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't think anybody is going to argue that using a General Motors oil pump on a Packard will not yield better performance. However, whether the capacity of the original pump was insufficient is open to question because there isn't any data or controlled test results. Only anecdotal trials.

What I find interesting are stories of Studebaker owners having lifter noise after installing the Packard pump on a Studebaker Hawk. Then when they deleted the vacuum pump the noise went away. As well, the upgraded shaft bushings in the revised Packard pumps seem to be doing well.

So take your pick. If you want better filtration the GM pump is definitely a superior choice. An the rerouted rear main oil feed is certainly better than the Packard design.

What I find disappointing is that Packards have a long history of oil pressure problems going back into the 1920's. The old timers used to swear that if the gauge wasn't pinned the bearings were being oil starved. I have since found some evidence that what sounded like superstition was actually a fairly accurate conclusion.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
your right , dave, i need to move, on, have my dads cars to get on the road.

thanks,

thanks,to, all,,,

riki

Posted on: 2015/5/10 16:16
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved