Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 170

MissDaisy , Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Power Steering Actuator Bracket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are some fairly close measurements of the hole locations. I didn't go precise but if I read my handwriting properly, they are within 1/16. All were to center of hole and sighting by eye over the rounded bent edge to the straight portion of side. If you do get a factory bracket perhaps one hole will line up to your weldnuts and you can drill the others thru.

If someone with a Monroe system can take a measurement of how far below the frame the rod end falls, it should help in the layout. I think the important thing is to have the cylinder rod fairly level and straight with the pitman arm end so it doesn't change basic steering geometry too much as it moves end to end.

EDIT: I see the way I drew the arrows between the holes and side is misleading and probably should be done over. I'll take a chance and leave them as is with an explanation. The measurements to the sides were with the bracket vertical as shown and fairly straight across -- not at the angle the arrows would indicate. The side measurement points would all be higher than arrows show.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.68 KB)
209_555b4f36071df.jpg 539X877 px

Posted on: 2015/5/19 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Howard...THANKS AGAIN for the work on this.

Ewrecks...THANKS for the kind offer.

At first the 1 7/8 inch and the 2 3/16 inch measurements were a glimmer of hope for me using the OEM bracket because that is soo close to the 2 inch measurements I did with my tape...I thought the OEM bracket would hang down and forward of the frame rail (due to the geometry of the holes in the bracket)...then...however...after carefully studying the over head view from the Packard Illustration it is obvious that the bracket is supposed to point strait down.

I guess now my option is to mock up the Monroe actuator making sure (as you already recommended) to keep the geometry level and fabricate my own bracket out of 1/4 inch thick steel. I plan on using the two existing holes idler arm holes (and press nuts) and then through drilling a third (and even forth) hole through the frame and inserting a steel tube all the way through the frame to ensure the through bolts do not squash the frame rails over time.

Naturally I will post a description and stencil of how I did this on this forum for posterity.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/19 17:48
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hmmmmm. After I hit the old "Submit" button I re-studied the overhead view of the parts illustration and it kinda looks like the OEM bracket does indeed point down and forward??? See attached illustration.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.17 KB)
84982_555bbfa623f2b.jpg 372X589 px
pdf Size: 66.72 KB; Hits: 37

jpg  (60.17 KB)
84982_555bc4ff19807.jpg 750X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/19 17:57
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think that is the orientation of the bracket. My Bendix PS idler bracket is similar to your manual bracket. That extra hole in the Monroe bracket would appear it might line up to use the empty hole in my frame. The difference might be in the overall height. My upper hole is about two thirds up on the frame with the empty hole just barely above the frame bottom.

That distance might be nice to know because of where the end of rod has to be positioned so the cylinder doesn't change height as it moves -- although the height of your pitman arm may be different too so that might change the measurement from a 55-6 car.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 18:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I will try to obtain a OEM bracket and use that as a start. If I need to modify it I will post my experience.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/20 9:55
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Bill- I got your message about the bracket and will try to get out and pull it on Saturday. I still have not figured out how to reply in the pc section. When I get it pulled I will send a text to the number you listed- assuming that will work and get your address. There is no charge for the bracket and I will ship via Priority mail and if you choose to refund the postage the banker will be happy.
Hope,I can help.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 16:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved