Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 53 Caribbean Canvas top
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

1OF750 wrote:
my top is a vinyl white and the bows are ivory like and the pads black

Again... 1953 Caribbean tops were white. The pads were white. The topstack bows/framework were white.

I did not specify shades of white simply because there are 2 jillion different shades of "white." Having worked in an OEM automotive design center for a good part of my life, I can assure you of this fact.

Even today's common vinyl convertible tops with diamond pinpoint grain have numerous shades of white-ranging from snow white to oyster. Point is that whatever shade you choose, the original Orlon tops were white-inside and out. And neither the material nor the frames were snow white. But for sure they were not black.

And if you were to ask Mr. Nat Danas, who waa the Godfather of auto trimmers and convertible tops about me, he would have told you I know my stuff on tops.

I also have big convertible top fabric sample books going back at least to the 1950s. Indeed I was responsible for specifying convertible top fabrics for several OEM convertibles-including some that when into production.

Personally I can tell you that even if you could find white canvas (and it is findable, but at grand-theft dough prices), it would never have the stain resistance of Orlon. Bad choice.

And yes, Orlon today would be tough or next to impossible to find today-although I suspect there just may be a trim wholesaler with an unloved bolt left in the back of a warehouse somewhere.

This said, a top made of conventional white vinyl with a white (or at least light tan) inner face at least puts you in the ballpark and keeps the spirit of the original look of the 1953 Caribbean tops.

Black pads may be quickie solutions, but they just don't belong on a 1953 Caribbean top. Any good, competent automotive trim shop ought to be able to make proper pads up for your top that look correct.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 17:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean Canvas top
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bill Hirsch's white vinyl tops with pinpoint pattern come (or at least did a few years back) with either tan or black underside and pads to match either though my top installer preferred to make the pads himself. The actual top maker was E-Z from Georgia.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 17:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved