Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel Boiling Out Of Carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
One opinion I've seen is that the more volatile elements are boiling off leaving a fuel that is not good for starting. This causes the motor to flood while better fuel is being cycled through the carburetor. Thus, the extended cranking - not at all good for an old starter.

So I think another test might be to keep some fuel in the trunk and try dumping a half-shot or more in the intake prior to a hot start.

This opinion seems supported by the fact that updraft carburetor cars don't have problems as severe as downdraft cars.

However, this doesn't explain why, if the car sits overnight it will start, while not when it is hot.

The last carburetor car I owned started immediately when hot, but seemed to take longer after I owned it for seven years. But I was living in Texas and Oklahoma at the time and it was super hot in summer. I had an older high mileage Dodge that cranked forever when it was hot. At the time I had a 2 mile commute so I didn't care.

It would be nice if I had one of these problems to look at, but presently I'm involved in fuel injection.

The trailered cars don't run very much so the owners never cared, although one of the last Packards I worked on had a hot starting problem that was almost completely eliminated after installing new cables from Rhode Island Wiring.

I also handled a 359 that, no matter what I did, always had at least .75 voltage loss through the block to the starter. The only solution was a non-standard ground cable bolted to the starter.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I believe it has these anti percolator valves. I had the cover off a couple of weeks ago to oil and inspect however I did not make any adjustments or measurements. I will look at it.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS

Posted on: 2015/9/7 10:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those who might not understand the function of the anti-percolator valves, they prevent or minimize flooding from heat-soak. They vent when the throttle is closed to prevent any heat-soak from percolating the fuel in the bowl which would otherwise be forced thru the main jets and into the manifold and engine. Less elegant designs just use a simple clapper valve over the float bowl, yet others have no valve at all but a vent tube extending into the carburetor throat above the venture. Earlier carburetors like the Stromberg EE-22 and 23 simply have a little maritime-style scupper valve and cap on top of the fuel bowl chamber with a baffle on the underside. But they are all for the same reason. As far as I know they are not necessary on updraft carburetors.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I am one of those who did not know what these were nor that the carburetors were even supposed to have one. Thanks for the info Owen.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 20:00
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved