Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Craig's Panther Project - Interior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have a closeup of the left side of the dash after final assembly.

In addition to the trial fit above, the cruise control switch is installed in place of the heater levers on the column surround. The round light in the dash below where the PNDLR indicator would go is a warning buzzer and light which comes on if you have the headlights on, but turn the engine off.

The 1956 400 instrument cluster is installed after being cleaned up and the center "bullets" painted satin black.

Above the dash is a Bosch 0-8000 electronic tachometer similar in looks to a "period correct" Sun tach, except all the chrome parts will be painted satin black. It will be custom mounted on the pushbutton stalk off the column, but with the column rotated 90-deg to put the stalk at the 12 o'clock position. This will place the tach in the middle of the speedometer bezel, but the outer edge of the speedo needle and numbers can still be seen.

The turn signal light "arrows" are done, but somehow missed making the picture. Their surrounds are satin black, not chrome.

Resized Image

The middle and right side of the dash look the same as the prior post picture, but have been final assembled.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/5/4 14:35
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
We are almost finished installing a product called "Boom Mat" on essentially all interior surfaces. Here's the description of this product:

Quote:
Boom Mats are constructed of a rubber-based (viscoelastic) polymer layer with an aluminum foil laminate outer facing, Boom Mat's strong adhesive backing is unaffected by extreme hot and cold temperatures, is corrosion resistant and can be applied to metals, painted areas, plastic, fiberglass, automotive coatings and other difficult to bond surfaces. With an ultra strong adhesive backing, it can be applied in horizontal, vertical and inverted applications as well as on complex shapes. In addition to being a superior sound absorber and a solution in controlling vibration over a wide temperature range, Boom Mats are also an excellent thermal insulator. Capable of damping annoying low frequency noise, Boom Mats also serve as a barrier to unwanted mid and high frequencies.

This product is rather expensive, but it is the latest technology for sound and temperature insulation. With 115F Summer temperatures around here and given the engine cam, headers and exhaust system, I'm sure it will prove highly beneficial.

Here's what it looks like installed on Panther interior:

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/5/12 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Hi Craig

Wow!!, what a great job, and the color...

BTW, how is your brake system holding up? Don't you have the
single diaphragm booster?
I've been thinking of going to a hydro boost... after I get the
disc brakes installed.
Best
Dave

Posted on: 2017/5/16 10:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I've been thinking of going to a hydro boost... after I get the
disc brakes installed.

I am curious where you are thinking of installing the hydroboost setup and what kind of pedal arrangement you would use.

Posted on: 2017/5/16 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
sanddoc Quote:
BTW, how is your brake system holding up? Don't you have the single diaphragm booster?

No problems in almost 15 years. And yes, I have the single diaphragm booster.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/5/16 12:46
 Top  Print   

Dash Mat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As you may recall from previous posts, both the upper and lower dash panels are painted body color, i.e., Copper Metallic and are quite dazzling. This is fine until one is driving into the afternoon Sun and there's a nasty reflection off the dash. Junior 55-56 have the same problem, but with them it depends on the color. Here's a picture in the early morning Sun with cloudless sky showing the problem:

Resized Image

The camera automatically stopped down the reflection, so the reflection is worse to the naked eye.

Here's what I came up with to solve the problem when it occurs:

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

The "dash mat" is cut conformal to the shape of the dash. The holes go around the speaker covers which also serve to locate the mat. The "Panther Paw Print" is purely decorative and in keeping with the theme of my Panther. The mat may be removed when not needed or installed when needed or when at car shows.

Credits: Cathy at B's Embroidery did the Panther Paw Print and Judy Strait cut and sewed the mat and paw print.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/7/31 12:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved