Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

Re: Eric's 1948 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Same situation with me last month, I wanted to take the car to the car show on Friday and was up until 2am the night before getting it ready. I actually had it running at midnight when the water pump decided I didn't want to take the car to the car show at all. It took me 2 more hours before I conceded.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 14:56
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/7/12 15:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric have you tried to run it off just a gas can to make sure it's not a "crap in the tank" related issue?

Posted on: 2009/7/20 18:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/7/20 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I know this is old and you've probably solved the problem but i had the same issue on a chevy 4cyl that i have in a boat (that's for sale, only way to solve issues once and for all is to get rid of the boat!)

We put new everything ignition on, manifolds, expert carb rebuild, fuel pumps, adjust valves, everything you could think of. Would run fine off the hose or at the dock, but after getting you right about to the middle of the lake....die and crank and not start. Left us in the middle of the lake after about 5 test runs. No triple A on the water either :-/

Turned out to be, after all that time and money, the new ignition. First, the wire coming out of the condenser wasn't in and connected solid (bought at Napa, which usually has good parts). While poking around we noticed it was kind of loose going into the boot at the top of the condenser. Second, i couldn't get the points dwell and gap set just right. I had assumed because it was running and revving on the hose that it was fine, but after warm up things changed and even though if you pulled a plug and saw spark, it wouldn't fire and run or take gas.

That's when i bought the pertronix unit to get troubleshooting out of the way (figuring if i bypassed all that i could move on to the next thing when it didn't work) and it worked like a charm. That's when i became a huge fan of the pertronix kit, because they work even when installed by a dummy like me.

Kind of long winded, but i wanted to throw it out there because the symptoms you had of driving around the block and dying even though it ran in the driveway sounded like exactly what i had.

Thanks for all the help on other threads and good luck!

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Cool blog, and very cool car, I love the coupe body and the wild color! I too second the Pertronix, been in my MG, and one's going in my 71 Fury, and also my 56 Executive, this Spring. Great product and a worthwhile quick mod.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 16:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/13 4:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
I'm putting electronic ignition on it, but I won't be using Pertronix. A Ford TFI module works with points, is cheaper, and is available at any parts store should it fail. Can't say that about Pertronix. Pertronix is just a big waste of money, IMHO.

Not available at any parts store, no, but you can swap the breaker plate points and all right back in on the side of the road. It does cost more than a ford module for sure, but how much is my time worth? Pertronix is a drop in 5 minute install.

Although the Ford option seems to be a slicker way to go, I like the pertronix brand because it's simple and made for that vehicles ign system so if it doesn't work i have someone to go back to. If i mis-wire the TFI, then i have to scratch my head forever.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who's just not that knowledgeable about ignition systems, i'll spend a couple extra bucks on simplicity and time saving every day.

Love to see how this car comes out though, i bet she runs like a champ when you get her back together!

Posted on: 2010/1/13 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/13 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Cost aside, why no faith in Pertronix? I know quite a few folks with them and have never heard of any problems... what is your data base for the statement?

Posted on: 2010/1/13 13:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved