Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
take a look at pic below and you'll see what i mean by its being held in mid air if i leave metering rod arm on top of cam lever because the weight has a spring in it which pushes metering rod up in the air.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.83 KB)
623_4af36f6d7bef1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The spring is supposed to hold the rod up and vacuum pulls it down via the piston. The picture looks correct to me but it's been a while since I worked on a WA 1. I had one in the garage but I gave it awy so don't have one to compare it to but by the Motors manual diagram it looks right.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
clipper??

you are a god send..the dining table is Covered with carb parts and it has to be back togehter and cleared before the mrs is due back tommarrow in addtion to the rest of the house..Heck ill be up till 2 am..

yeah the metering rod has a weight and a small spring inside it. So what you are telling me makes sense .its vaccumm operated..correct??

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks correct to me, and yes, it's vacuum operated.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
thanks..will continue re assembling buddy

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
thanks to you to Turbo...great talking with ya in chat last night be back on chat around 9 or 10 EST

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The picture looks correct to me also but it's been a while since I worked on a WA 1. I had one in the garage but I gave it away so don't have one to compare it to but by the Motors manual diagram it looks right.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
well carb is back together and kitchen cleaned up for inspect. Will mount tommarrow and once again try and crank to see if we're back to an electrical issue. Also I see that in the last rebuild 10 years ago, i failed to calibrate the float level...it was sitting at '0' inch. drop. re- Calibrated to a 3/8" drop from casting to edge on lower seam of float per instructions

Question? what happens if its not calibrated?? flooding??

Posted on: 2009/11/5 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Flooding or fuel starvation which ever way the float is out of adjustment. Make sure that the accelerator pump squirts gas.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sanford, the float or fuel level is the single-most important adjustment to make when redoing a carburetor. Think of it this way - though a bit over-simplistic. You want a relatively constant air/fuel mixture over a range of rpms: properly set, the fuel level in the bowl (established by the needle & seat adjustment) is just a tad below the tip of the main jet. As the air flow induced by the piston suction passes thru the venturi in the carburetor, it creates a vacuum in the region of the tip of the main jet and "pulls" gasoline into the air stream, atomizing it in the process.

If you set the fuel bowl level too high (above the jet tip), you'd have a constant flow of gasoline off the jet not controlled by the volume of air flow, hence you'd run rich. Also, even with the throttle plates closed and no air flow thru the venturi, you'd still be pumping gasoline into the engine, with no or insufficient air to make a combustible mixture.

If you set it too low, the vacuum created in the venturi would be unable to draw the specified volume of gasoline, and the result would be a lean mixture.

Take the time, set it accurately!

Posted on: 2009/11/6 10:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved