Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Re: Howdy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Regarding the gauge, I agree it would be near impossible to find, and I don't think it is too awefully critical, compared to where I was before. Since the approximate range of motion is 90*, I think "between 30* and 45*" is roughly equivalent to 1/4 and half throttle, no? I used two tiny washers, trimmed with a dremel, as seen below. I now have continuity in the switch at around half throttle, which is way closer than I was, and I think an acceptable approximation. Woot!

Attach file:

jpg  (65.77 KB)
19454_52d1a60605bb9.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (50.35 KB)
19454_52d1a61f33a85.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2014/1/11 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thanks for that, Jim. The cracks are actually in the intake manifold, where it bolts to the exhaust manifold for the heat riser. No sign of leaks yet.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Drove the car around the neighborhood for a couple of hours today. Had a good time and the car ran pretty smooth. I came upon a partially restored 1949 Lincoln parked in a driveway, and stopped and chatted with the owner for a bit.

One observation is that the transmission makes a Horrific noise when coasting, in second gear. Sounds like loose bearing and gears banging and scraping around in there! Any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (104.11 KB)
19454_52db1a8ace281.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2014/1/18 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Is this where my transmission drain plug is? LOL!

Attach file:

jpg  (110.62 KB)
19454_52ed70d51d698.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2014/2/1 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
That looks familiar

Posted on: 2014/2/2 0:13
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Alright Gents, I got the car titled and registered today! So to celebrate, I took the wife out for a drive. After about 5 miles its got hardly any oil pressure. Upon start up, it has ~ 40 lbs at idle. It's fresh rotella 15w40. What does this indicate???

Posted on: 2014/4/5 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was there any noise and had the oil pan been dropped and screen cleaned? Not knowing what type oil you had before, any chance the new oil is detergent and the old was not so a load of sludge is now sitting in the pan blocking the pickup screen? I found out the hard way on a V8 that high detergent oil was not a good idea on an old engine with no history & just coming out of a long slumber.

I would definitely rule that scenario out. You could drain a quart or two of oil and check the condition. If it is new oil and black as tar then a good possibility. Another thing I would do is put on a mechanical gauge in addition to the original electric gauge just to rule out sender issues.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 21:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Howard, as always, thank you for the reply. No, I have not dropped the pan, and I don't know what type of oil was previously used. I'll try to drain some today and see what comes out.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Howard, looks like you were right. I drained the oil and it was black as can be, several gloops of gunk came out, and I could feel the sludge in the pan with my finger. I added fresh oil, and still no oil pressure on start up. I added about a pint of kerosene and with a rev, the op climbed to about 20-30 psi. I drained that oil and added fresh again, and took it for a spin. At speed, I get about 30 psi. But when I come to a stop, the pressure falls again to near zero. I think I'll add kerosene, let it run for a bit, and change the oil again. Is it a pipe dream that I'll get pressure this way? I'd like to drop and clean the pan, but I'm crunched for time at the moment. We are moving at the end of the month, and I can't really tear the car apart, yet I need it drive able.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the reading falling back to near zero you could have some serious wear -- but it could be just the gauge reading. I believe the idle spec is something like 5-7psi or at least that is the low point range as given by the aftermarket people for some of the idiot light replacement senders used on later engines.

I'd be very careful on the Kerosene though and keep a close eye on what pressure there is. With Kerosene being so thin and almost no lubricating ability, it wouldn't take much to do some damage. I had only added a pint to some high detergent oil and gone less than a mile before my engine started complaining. Of course, it turned out to be in fairly sad shape anyway but the crap coming loose and blocking the oil intake didn't help. What life I could have gotten out of the engine was cut short by my own lack of foresight.

I know it's no fun taking the pan off but as things to do go, that is not one of the worst jobs and cleaning out all the sediment might be the only option. If you get prepared and have the gasket ahead of time, it could be done in an afternoon.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 13:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved