Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I had left one of the rear hand brake levers on the shoe to remind me how it went together, so once I got the left rear done I went to remove it from the RH shoe and wouldn't you know it, someone had cobbled something together. I was shocked, of course. Apparently they'd either broken or lost the little clip that holds the pin to the shoe web, so they welded a washer on. Worked fine but not something I can reuse. So now I need to track down a new pin and clip, pn 1.4155 (pin pn 433270 and spring washer pn 446274).

Attach file:

jpg  (87.05 KB)
34001_53df05b21cea5.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (133.24 KB)
34001_53df05c0ef04c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/8/3 23:02
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
All the parts stores could order the pin I needed, but the pin cost less than a buck and the freight was $10. Well, I was sure I could beat that. Since I was in the neighborhood, I checked at the local Midas shop and sure enough they had some that were similar to what I needed in a box of random stuff. I picked one that was a bit long but the right diameter, price- free. A little grinding to length and finding the right clip in my box of random stuff (we all have one) and I was in business.

So now with all the brakes together and hubs installed, I started checking the brakes for leaks - found one right away so I think I messed up a flare. So that's what I'll start chasing tomorrow I guess.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:05
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Broken airplanes taking up my time, so whatever is leaking in my brake system is still waiting for me. However, I managed to accomplish some stuff with the credit card at least!

Bought some tires, my cherry red rims look pretty good but don't worry if they blind you, the trim rings and hubcaps will eventually hide most of that. Also the radiator shop checked out my radiator and heater core and both were good, flushed and cleaned and pressure checked, good to go. Now I'm just waiting for my radiator mounting pads from Steele to arrive and I can put all that together, then run the engine long enough to let those noisy lifters pump up. I hope.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.64 KB)
34001_53e2e6f335e73.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:39
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Following a suggestion from Big Kev I used toilet tank bushings to mount the radiator on my '55 Clipper (similar to your '52). The bushings are used to mount the tank to the main part of the toilet and are available at hardware and plumbing supply places. I cut some lengths of tubing to act as sleeves. The sleeves prevent the rubber bushings from being tightened down too tight. The radiator is securely mounted, but can flex on the bushings a slight amount. Here is a photo of what I used.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (22.89 KB)
565_53e392c3e3ecf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/8/7 9:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
very nice, wish I'd remembered that from Kev's blog.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 16:03
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I mounted my air boxes on the firewall and the heater plenum inside, after cleaning up under the dash and windshield area - not any substantial rust so I just wire brushed it and sprayed Rustoleum rusty metal primer on everything. Lubed all the pulleys etc on the wipers under there, hooked up the air valve cables after pressure lubing them and all is smooth.

My son helped me bleed the brakes, i had a leak at just the one connection at the left front - cut off the end and reflared it and now it's leak-free.

Next is to mount the gas tank when it arrives and run new fuel line, then the radiator and hoses. Then I can get the wheels on and I'll have a rolling chassis!

Also my mother-in-law found some of the original registration certificates for the car, and they list the title number which might be enough for the State to issue me a new title. That would save some paperwork. I'll be out to that side of the state later this week to fix an airplane so I can pick up those papers then and we'll see what we have.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 19:45
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Mounted the radiator and hooked up all the hoses and heater hoses. Brazed the rust holes in my water outlet, it's pretty thin and I probably should just buy a new one but it's on for now. I mounted my generator just to use it to tension the fan belt, since I haven't gotten an alternator yet.

Filled it all with water and started the engine, managed to get the idle mixture adjusted so the engine will idle OK. Still have a pretty good clacking sound, probably something major but I'm just going to run it for awhile and see what shakes loose.

After running it for about 5 minutes, I added the final 5 quarts of ATF Type F, then ran it again and tested the tranny. The rear wheels move in the proper directions in all gears, so that makes me pretty happy.

All in all a satisfying evening.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 22:43
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I mounted the new exhaust from Kepich yesterday, fits pretty well but the muffler is a few inches longer than the original so there is no room at the rear of the muffler to fit the original-style exhaust clamp/support assy. Not that my original was any good any more anyway, but I need to figure out some method to support the exhaust in that area as the next hanger is way at the rear. Right now it got the old baling wire treatment, which coincidentally was what had been holding up the pipes when I got this car. I have to make a little extender to attach my forward hanger (at the bellhousing) to reach to the tab welded onto the exhaust pipe but that's simple.

The car is quieter now when it runs, which was the idea along with replacing the old, crushed exhaust pipes and mouse house muffler. I wonder if mice get cancer from asbestos?

And I got my new road draft tube from David Grubbs (thanks!), it was in great condition so all I had to do was a quick blast and some paint and it's on.

Next is the new fuel tank and lines.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.89 KB)
34001_53f0e0082bc54.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (49.50 KB)
34001_53f0e022047e1.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:02
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if he is using the same template for junior and senior cars. The longer muffler might fit well in the longer wheelbase. Not quite following the problem with the tab..The same pipe so length of the drop from manifold should be the same junior and senior but there do appear to be different brackets.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Seems like from my experience and those of others that I have read about here, there most always is something from Kepich which does not fit correctly. However, they are always ready to take back the parts and try something else. Good customer service, but somewhat irritating that it does not work the first time.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved