Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

39Rollson, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Engine rebuild stand
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. Yes, I've looked at every possible worm gearbox and gear-set option available and had just about come to the same conclusion of making one from a gear-set. Finding one premade is preferrable as all labor will cost but nothing so far. The one in the photo was designed for opening and closing valves and is the closest physically but not a good ratio.

As for the stand itself, I have been searching and saving photos of all types for years and I am keen on end to end with full rotation but we'll see what I end up with. Packard's own seems awkward at best and does not seem safe to me. Whatever it is I make, if it's viable I'll make several as I have a number of engines from 1940 110 to 359. Right now I am building a mockup using a pair of inexpensive manual (no gearbox) rotary stands that I already have and adding the gearbox but the final ones will be stronger than these and possibly with a wider stance.

Finding either a good compromise for the pivot centerline or making different adapters at different positions is also an interesting challenge. Ultimately, though, it will probably have some built-in stationary support for front block work which should be easy to incorporate as this type of work is generally done at the beginning and end of a rebuild where all pivoting needed has already been done.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
PackardDon,

How about these actuators
https://www.bray.com/actuators/manual-operators/series-04

They are one brand we use at work

Posted on: 2017/12/14 22:48
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes but they are like the one I showed except that they include the valve. The problem is that they have a very "fast" ratio of something like 4:1 with 1/4 turn on and off while I need 15:1 ratio or greater. So far I think Howard's idea to use my own gearset and make a housing is the best idea and not difficult to do overall.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I just wanted to post my option on using an engine stand. I mounted a front bracket with a pipe bolted to it for a front pivot in line with the one on the regular engine stand. To this I attach the overhead chain hoist. The C-clamp stops the chain hoist's hook from straying away from the block and increasing its load on the pipe.
It is now stable yet rotates through the full 360. You could do the same with a drilled out 2x6 I guess, but it is nice to have fewer tripping issues below the block, and the chain hoist is a little easier to adjust the unit to level.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC03110.JPG (232.86 KB)
225215_6450095edec7a.jpg 1920X1598 px

jpg  DSC03109.JPG (245.02 KB)
225215_6450096f6f9fd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/5/1 13:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved