Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Ultramatic ATF
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Previous owner used type FA in mine and it seems to work well overall.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOL75205

Posted on: 2023/9/21 5:25
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Previous owner used type FA in mine and it seems to work well overall.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOL75205

I hadn't heard of Type AF, so had a little look online. Some say AF and F are the same, that type AF is just an updated version of type F. Some say AF is better than Type F for older transmissions, that it has different friction modifiers.

Does anyone know for sure if they are different and if one or the other is better for an Ultramatic?

*I have Pennzoil Type F in my Ultramatic and it seems to be okay.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 8:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
FA is basically just F that is upgraded for longer service life. Its friction properties are the same as F.

I have an old car magazine from the 1960's sitting in my library somewhere that has an article talking all about the characteristics of the different types of transmission fluids and how the transmissions were designed to work on each of them. It's been a long time since I read it. I wish I could find it right now.

Basically, from what I can remember, Dexron produces a smooth slide into engagement, so the valve body is calibrated to apply the clutch quickly and let the fluid do all the work of smoothing things out. Meanwhile, Type F tends to slip a lot at first then suddenly grab, so the valve body is calibrated to apply the clutch much more gradually. I do not remember it saying anything about the old Type A fluids.

Those differences between Dexron and Type F were only during dynamic friction situations where the clutch is slipping during a shift. I think it said that the static or holding friction properties are the same between them, which means Type F will do nothing to stop your direct drive clutch from slipping under load.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 2:25
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved