Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard Heaters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you Howard for all the trouble and work you went to over this. I know I have PM'd you several times, but for the info of the public post I wanted to update the situation...

Howard was right, the switch in my car WAS a 4 position, 3 wire unit (apparently used in later Caribbean models) and I did remove the switch and cleaned it up, sprayed some contact cleaner into it and eventually got 4 nice distinct clicks. (instead of the 2, initially) I then added fused 6 volt power and got one position to blow full power and one, very, very slow, both with the motor going the same direction. I checked the colours stamped clearly on the switch and not one wire coming from the motor was colour-correct. I was aware Howard had said some of the heaters were wired differently, thus the colour coding wouldn't match, so I was reluctant to change them, but eventually thought I would, and just touch the power wire to the switch and if nasty things happened I could just return them to the way they were. To my surprise, once all the correct colours were attached to the appropriate terminals on the switch, the unit worked perfectly. A full speed and reasonable slow speed in one direction for defrost on the first two clicks and then a slow and fast in the opposite direction for the heater with the last 2 positions. All the way in is off, of course. I was surprised by how much air the blower moved at high speed. I did remove the front cover of the heater and reversed the emblem and then reinstalled it with the small, rectangular door facing down and I think I have a reasonable version of Packard heat and defrost!! Many thanks to all who inputted their knowledge and advice - hugely appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 20:39
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
All Caribbeans used rotary heater switches, the push/pull switch pictured is from a 41-47 Clipper as a previous poster noted

Posted on: 2017/4/28 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, that is my error, Fred. Please forgive me. Chris.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 22:44
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One more addition to the Packard Heater thread for possible future reference until some factory documentation comes to light.

This is the 41-47 Clipper deluxe heater wiring with the Clipper style switch. It might be of use to someone although I doubt if very many had the deluxe heater option in their Clippers rather than the standard defroster/footwarmer unit and underseat heater..

Attach file:

jpg  (79.75 KB)
209_5904fc8682a24.jpg 1300X646 px

Posted on: 2017/4/29 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved