Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 208

Bob J, Owen_Dyneto, R H, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 47 Custom Super Clipper Dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
I have undertaken the refurbishing of my 2126 dash. Stripped all of the paint and removed/converted any and all rust, pitting etc. I sent it to a hydro dip process shop. The finished product was amazing (at least to me) relatively inexpensive (important to me) and satisfies my taste as to what the dash needed to look like. The grain pattern I chose was limited to what he had in his suppliers stock but I'm sure there are plenty more (infinite choices) to choose from given the time and effort. I have tried uploading photos of finished product and having some difficulty likely due to file size. Will keep trying but the process is worth looking into and considering as an option.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 16:45
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, I looked at that Hydro drip and it looks awesome. I think I could do small pieces myself but a whole dash I would have to farm out. I'm also looking at warps, but I can't find a close match for the color and pattern.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/1/31 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
trying desperately to upload photos....and yes, I compromised on the grain pattern. The burl looks excellent, the straight grain could have been better and would likely need a "cross match wood pattern" (two separate species) carefully chosen for the desired effect. Will try photos again....getting "pop up blocked" alert. sigh....
Bottom line, if I were doing another one ( I am not that insane) I would do it again in a heart beat. The price for all pieces dash, front seat garnish (back) four window garnish trim and ash trays was less than 400.00

Posted on: 2018/1/31 16:56
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Will try photos again....getting "pop up blocked" alert. sigh....

In addition to size and proper file format -- jpg, png, etc, make sure the title of the photo has no illegal characters or numerals separated by dots. A date or time in a format similar to 1.31.2018 is frequently added by cameras. A string of numerals separated by dots seems to make the site unhappy and usually results in the under attack or blocked message.

If you are using an iPhone for a camera, at some point Apple changed the default photo file format to HEIF which the website will not accept. Those photos will need to be converted with some kind of imaging program to one of the formats acceptable from the list shown in the reply box add photo section or else the iPhone camera setting under format need to be changed from high efficiency to most compatible and photos taken again which should now be in jpeg.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 17:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
thanks Howard....I will check that out and correct if possible. Otherwise, I will be at the restoration shop tomorrow and take additional pictures...standing by....

Posted on: 2018/2/1 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
trying again....My wife is a better photographer and her pictures turned out much better but could not get them to transfer so these are my feeble attempt to duplicate her work. The colors are more vibrant on her Nikon....sigh....

Attach file:

jpg  (187.85 KB)
97266_5a74b86b16b83.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (237.42 KB)
97266_5a74b87e2872b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/2/2 14:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash looks quite impressive and looking at the website of just one company that offers a hydro dip service it looks as if there are a considerable number of woodgrain patterns available. Do you have an item number or company name and any good/bad comments you are willing to share on the firm that did yours?

Posted on: 2018/2/2 14:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thank you Howard...just wish the pictures did it justice.
As for my thoughts:
I found a small operation start up about 10 miles from home. The young man had been in business for a few months and had some of his finished products on display. In an earlier post, I mentioned that there were probably more patterns available than what he had access to at the time so my choices were pretty minimal. An established shop likely would have a number of suppliers and I'm sure more patterns are being produced constantly.

Suggestions. When you pick a pattern/wood grain, find out what size is available and how much per transfer. If they are reasonably priced, by two or three and oversized for what you might need. I think (just a guess) you could then tell the shop which portion of the transfer you want to use and how to orient the pattern...especially on the dash where the turns and curves are challenging for alignment. I think the process can be undone and redone a number of times but would have to ask the shop.

Down side. The ash trays, dash, front seat back garnish trim (2126) all turned out fantastic and couldn't be happier. The window molding and garnish presented a challenge because each edge (two horizontal, two vertical) had the grain running parallel with the long run of metal. These would have to be a three dip process, two vertical, two horizontal normal grain and the third being the raised portion (burl) between the chrome trim pieces. I realized that this shop was not going to be able to figure that out soooooo I sprayed the entire frame the leather brown and then masked that off to have him dip the burl pattern. He then sprayed clear coat over the whole frame. Though not true to original, the original grain was so faint that it really appeared as "leather brown" anyway.

I would think there are a number of shops competing in all major city areas. I did find out that there are three in my general area and we are a pretty small group of communities.
I've also seen videos of do it your self operations. Didn't consider it as this dog is too old to learn new tricks...just trying not to forget the old tricks!

Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
The name of the company is Outlaw Hydro-graphics in the Myrtle Beach, SC area (south closer to Garden City). I had my dash done almost two years ago so he likely has a better grasp of the products available and techniques/tricks. He was easy to work with and turned the pieces around within about 10 days.http://www.outlawhydrographics.com/

Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Man that looks great! And I think your picture turned out better then their's.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (174.92 KB)
1003_5a74e867f1812.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/2/2 17:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved