Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 256

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 30 »

Re: Eric's Packard Barchetta Speedster Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And finally, the '53 327 head on the '48 356, a perfect fit:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/9/30 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The heads on both 356's are ok, the only reason why I don't want to use them is because of the small diameter spark plugs. Also, the later head of the 327 will up the compression a little, which is always nice. I do have another set of rods and a crankshaft coming to complete the '48 356, which means I'll eventually rebuild both of them.

Also, I did some measurements on the engines, and the 356's are 15.25" from pan to deck, whereas the 288/327's are 14.5". Everything else dimension wise seems the same, length, width, etc. This means that a '356 should be a drop in for my '48 as well, which is where the other one will go eventually. I'd like to get a couple more of these engines, as I'm really starting to like them quite a lot. Here in the next few days the 327 will be pulled from the Speedster and I'll drop the '47 356 in there and take a few pics for you all!

Posted on: 2009/9/30 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The reason why I like the 356 over the 288/327/359 engines is the location of the distributor, it's right in the middle as compared to the other engines. This makes putting my Autolite generator with attached p/s pump possible, as well as using my HEI. Here's some more pics, starting with the 327:

Notice the distributor hole, between the second and third freeze plugs.

Now notice the 356, the distributor's right under the center or third freeze plug. This of course means that the 356 cam is not interchangeable with the other engines.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's the '47 356 with the '53 327 head, the Chrysler generator-p/s pump, the HEI distributor, and the stock 356 Autolite starter. It's pretty busy on this side!!

Posted on: 2009/9/30 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I also won't be using the 356 distributors, so if someone needs one or both of them they're for sale too.

I think my plan will be to rebuild one of these for the Speedster, then rebuild the other one, put a 4bbl intake on it, and drop it in the '48 Coupe`. I do like several more things about this engine, the oil pump's friggen' huge, almost twice the size of a 288/327 pump. The crankshaft's interesting too, as it has bolt on counterweights, pretty cool if I must say. When I get to rebuilding it, I'm going to have it sonic tested to see how much overbore it will take, as I'd like to bore one or both to 3.587". This, coupled with the 4 & 5/8" stroke makes it a 374, LOL! I also find it interesting that the rods at 9.25" are exactly twice the length of the stroke, I've never seen that before.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
So the new plumbing wont clear the hood. Ever think of a bulge/blister similar to these:

http://www.est1946.com/steelblister.aspx

Posted on: 2009/9/30 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If I run a hood, it'll all fit under it. Haven't decided on a hood or not, leaning more against it.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 23:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Let me know when you are going to get more distro's converted to HEI, I want to add that to my 327. But I want to keep my original intact for the future.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 23:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It'll work on your engine no problem since you're 12V and using an alternator. These will ONLY work with 12V, and I'll build some more as soon as I can get 5 people interested in them, they're $250 a pop, that's everything new.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 0:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hmm Eric,I could use one these 327cid Packard engines on a forklift we have here, the old engine flathead R6 is worn off and toast as you would say but it has lasted whitout repairs for 12 year!! A long time from my point of view.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 2:32
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 30 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved