Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 244

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Hi Garrett,

Off topic, but while considering your dream car don't forget to consider your insurance needs.

If a daily driver and perhaps your only driver the cost may not be that much different from another car other than you might desire a policy with an agreed upon replacement value.

If insured as a classic the cost is usually much less, however your use is limited and you're expected to store the vehicle in a locked garage. Just more headaches to consider while making plans, but plan before you purchase.

Jim

Posted on: 2014/7/16 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Darn! Something else I forgot to consider, insurance. It did cross my mind what if someone ran into your Packard when you took it to Super Walmart just to get it out of the garage for a while? Lord, I'd probably faint on the spot.

Aren't there "classic car" insurers?

Kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/16 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hi Bernie!

Wow, what a a great and inspiring story detailing the start of your love affair with classic cars.

My desire to own a pre-War II Packard is the confluence of two factors.

One, when I was in high school I was on the school newspaper and was able to scoop an interview with the then governor of Louisiana--who later went to federal prison. I asked him what advice he had for young people. He said, "Always dare to be different." I never forgot that. Over the course of my life, whenever I have dared to be different, it has paid off, usually positively. As such, I can just imagine myself tooling down the highway sitting proudly behind the banjo-wheel of a 120 or Senior Packard and having people smile and wave as they drive by.

Factor two is having that indefinable "something" that makes whatever appealing. For me, it has always been cars of the 1930s, specifically Packards.

So, coupling the indefinable something with daring to be different, is what motivates me. Of course, visualizing what it is you desire can be mighty helpful as well.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
BigKev
I fully understand and hope the family and relocation issues get ironed out smoothly as they are the most important. Sometimes finishing 1 project is a major milestone that may come once in a lifetime. Surely good advice to buy the best car you can paint and interior wise. Each individual needs to assess their own situation when it comes to taking on a project. As someone who has tackled full hot rod interiors and paint/bodywork in the past I like to see hobbyists do everything at home. The help and info is here if anyone needs as long as the drive and knowledge of the requirements are stated up front. Tackleing a project with a younger family member can be a bonding exp and also teach the value of hard work and persistence. dan

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved