Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

Alvin14, moodydavid16, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Booster and Master Cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
COnversions or no conversions, i'd like to know what's happening to the Treadle Vacs causing them to fail.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
i'd like to know what's happening to the Treadle Vacs causing them to fail.

You seem to understand these units so why not take me up on my suggestion and call Ed Strain and get some information for us? 800-266-1623 or 727-521-1597

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC During the mid 50's Chevy used some kind of a goofy ass power brake unit that mounted high on the fender skirt. Not sure how it worked. I think 2wo MC's were used. One on the firewall that fed a slave on the power booster that then pushed another MC. IIRC it looked just like the Bendix TV unit on the Packard except it was mounted remotely.

My point, is that it was MOUNTED HIGH.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Honda brake conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't recall doing any work on Keith's Honda power brake conversion other than a few phone conversations; I'll give him full credit for that one

I've never actually seen Eric's Ford power brake conversion, but it sounds like a good one. If he hasn't already done so and has some pictures, maybe Eric should write up a "How-to" and post it under projects on this site.

Also, as another varient, do not forget Paul's Lincoln-based power brake and disc brake conversion on his 1956 Executive:http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PaulPowerBrakes.html

So, there are plenty of ways to go if one wants to replace the BTV on any 1952-56 Packard that has one.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:44
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Honda brake conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let's not loose sight of what started this thread in the first place, NOT a hydraulic failure or a boost failure, but a failure of the pedal to return to the rest position.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I mite do that Owen. Thanks for the numbers. My preference would be to let the service providers explain it to ALL of us instead of me acting as a liazon. No matter how many questions i ask them there will always be a question that someone else has that i can't think of.

Why not let the service providers answer questions here at this forum where everyone can join into the correspondence. It's more timely, less schedule restrictive, and gives everyone involved time to digest the info.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My preference would be to let the service providers explain it to ALL of us instead of me acting as a liazon

That would be my preference as well, but let's face it, these guys are running businesses, tending to payrolls, suppliers, customers, families, kids in college and all that, so they probably don't have the time or inclination to sit for a couple of hours and see what websites might be looking for their input.

I only suggest Ed Strain because of his sterling reputation with TV units. I personally believe some TV problems are the result of (a) using 50 year old rebuild kits with dried out old parts and not always including the parts we might need, and (b) either using the corner brake shop as a rebuilder, or doing it yourself without proper knowledge.

But hopefully we await what you find out from the folks who do it for a living.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See FIrst post of this recent thread at AACA:
http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/579873/56_BRAKE_PEDAL_ISSUES#Post579873

Sounds like a hydraulic problem to me. The failure of the pedal to return is a secondary problem.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Different poster, different problem I guess.

I think we've flogged this one enough until such time as we come up with some new information.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
HH56 -

You wrote:

Quote:
One of the rebuilders stated that a good rebuild could not be accomplished without "extensive machining" of the MC which his shop did but others didn't do & just changed the seals. That was a guaranteed failure in short order was his feeling.

IMHO, unless he is retrofitting some sort of alternate parts, that rebuilder is full of it.

There is NO need to machine (or sleeve) a BTV master cylinder. The plunger moves fluid by simple displacement, sliding through a stationary seal. The OE hard-chrome plated plunger will, however, become pitted over time and work like a cheese-grater on the seal. A new plunger can be fabricated locally.

A badly corroded master cylinder housing should be replaced.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved