Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

53 Cavalier, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Local Shows
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Owen: You are fortunate to be in a hot bed of Packard activity, must be very enjoyable.

Of that Lincoln Convertible Phaeton by Derham, that was a design built under license from Hibbard & Darrin according to Hugo Pfau. It's such an elegant design, looks great even with the top down, but has lousy rear visibility with it up. Humm, elegant and impractical, the measure of a true custom body! A '29 645 with that body is pictured in the Crestline text on page 230, dearly wish it had survived.

The other variation with the same architecture is the convertible coupe, found on a variety of Classic chassis. Those few 745 models with that body are just unbelievably beautiful cars. I recall how stunned I was by one that appeared at Hershey years ago. Pierce-Arrow noticed how fine that convertible coupe looked, based their subsequent convertible coupe on that design......wish Packard had too!

Graham sharknose lover here as well. While they didn't sell very well here, the French were nuts for them. There were some pretty wild avant-garde custom bodies done on that chassis to go with the wild frontal styling.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/9/23 17:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Local Show
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Owen,
Love your post of Gorgeous cars in your life.
Thanks.

One smart-alec comment about the gorgeous 34 DeSoto Air Flow Coupe.
It looks like what Darrin might have come up with if he were asked,
"How could we stretch a 'Volkswagen Bettle' into a full-blown-classic?"

[Actually, it is 1000 times more gorgeous. But, remember how Beetles were laughed at in the early-mid 1960s?]

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:36
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just back from a cruise and ground excursions in the Eastern Med, and just by chance ran into an old car tour near Dubrovnik, Croatia. About a dozen cars, ALL open cars, on a tour through Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, etc. Two Packards, a 37 120 and a 1941 160, plus several Bentleys (one a blower Bentley), a Rolls, Delahaye, Delage, 31 Chrysler, several BMWs,a VERY LARGE MG, and others, all prewar and several pre-1930. Will post some pictures in the next day or so.

Fortunately I was wearing my Packard National Museum cap and was welcomed graciously by them, though langauge was a bit of a hurdle, a mix of my English and German the best we could manage.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 4:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Owen_Dyneto, how wonderful that you could stumble upon such a collection of touring vehicles during your vacation. This could be the only valid excuse as to why we did not see you in Hershey!

Re: the 1955 Chrysler Imperial custom convert of K.T. Keller, he would have been the CEO-emeritus in 1955, Tex Colbert was driving the Mopar bus by then, as evidenced by Virgil Exner's "100 Million dollar look" 1955-'56 styles, where men might actually have to remove their hats upon entering!

Posted on: 2009/10/21 8:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like I did a poor job photographing those cars from Serbia on tour, but here's the pictures I did take. Missed the 41 160 convertible, the Rolls, and blower Bentley. Hope you enjoy the rest. Anyone know what model the large blue/silver MG is? Tried to get that info from the owner but too large a language barrier. And it's the largest MG I've seen.

Attach file:

jpg  (180.11 KB)
177_4ae2062aa13f5.jpg 1280X898 px

Posted on: 2009/10/23 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What a truly wonderful vacation! To be able to cram autos and traveling together in such remote (to us) places is a great experience. Thanks for the photos.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Owen

Great tour pictures, you're forgiven for missing the high holy days of Hershey!

That MG would be an SA or WA model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_SA

They were big cars, CCCA recognizes them.
Good looking Alfa Romeo, maybe a Pinin Farina cabriolet body?
That '33 Chrysler looks like a Imperial Eight CQ model, though it's hard to tell from the photo angle.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/10/24 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Owen said:Quote:
Fortunately I was wearing my Packard National Museum cap and was welcomed graciously by them, though langauge was a bit of a hurdle, a mix of my English and German the best we could manage.

Owen,
Fortunately, all of you spoke
"Things Mechanical & Old Cars"
which is the 'Esparanto' (universal language) of
Human Males
in most cultures.

SO,
Enjoy your wonderful travels, keep the posts coming (and photos as possible.)

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/24 16:02
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

butikmoii
See User information
Wow! It's nice to attend car shows like this.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 13:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
My wife, son and I decided to take both senior cars to a local cruise night. First time in about four years both the Packard and Pierce Arrow were out together. My wife and 16 year old son drove her 29 645 Touring and I in the 30 Pierce Limmo. We even entered them into judging just for fun. Neither one of cars won but that's not why we were there. The best in show was (of course)a 57 Chevy. We had fun and the cars drew lots of questions.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.19 KB)
2418_4bb7acf77d408.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (102.19 KB)
2418_4bb7ad2754640.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/4/3 16:04
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved