Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Craig
I'll give that try but where in the heck am I going to find a wire hanger in 2015. Maybe I'll look on Ebay under antiques.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 8:32
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....where in the heck am I going to find a wire hanger in 2015

What do they use in KY, my shirts still come back on wire hangars. Need a couple of hundred?

Posted on: 2015/5/9 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't know how one can work on an old car without the ubiquitous wire coat hanger. They're almost as useful as duct tape and cost less.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/9 12:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
First of all, my wife through out all the wire hangers a long time ago. We only have those plastic ones in this house.

Had to go to town this morning so I went and sweet talked the lady at the dry cleaner for a couple hangers. Either I was that good or she just didn't give a damn but, I got all the hangers I wanted.

I eventually used a combination of several different suggestions but in the end both of the rear load arms are now re-seated. I'll post some pictures tomorrow evening.

Its Miller Time here on the farm and I have to go light the grill, its been a good week.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 16:49
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Good to hear that something worked for you.

Look forward to pictures, and more progress on your project.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Only had a little time to sand blast some parts today.

This is what I did yesterday to re-seat the left side load arm. First I wired the right side load arm to the stirrup as Craig suggested. Then I tried re-seating the left side using just a jack and no chain.

The result was similar to earlier in the week. As the frame went up the support arm stayed in place causing the load arm to try to slip out. The difference this time was that the wire held the stirrup in place. Unfortunately, I chickened out.

Even though the two parts stayed together the load arm still slid up the length of the stirrup. So it did come unseated the two parts just did not pull away from each other. I was afraid of all that pressure on the wire hanger so I backed off.

So, I took a couple orange straps off my truck and wrapped them around the axle and the frame as seen below. When tightened the straps it allows the axle/support arms and the frame to raise as one when I used the jack.
Then I went ahead and put the chain back around the frame as before and jacked the load arms up. This time the whole thing went up thanks to the straps. The right side load arm was safe thanks to the wire and I had the left side re-seated in about 2 minutes.

Lastly I hung the remaining hangers next to my tool box in case Craig has anything for me in the future.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.23 KB)
5209_555003830ea20.jpg 1280X978 px

jpg  (102.74 KB)
5209_5550038d69675.jpg 1280X759 px

jpg  (233.08 KB)
5209_5550039accaf7.jpg 1099X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/10 20:21
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Reference your last photograph. If it not be for my weekly trip to the dry cleaning store, I'd not have my supply in the garage. In my house it is almost a felony crime to hang one's clothing on a plain wire hanger. Yes, she must be obeyed about such things.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
metal coat hangers is one of the must have supplies in workshop uses are near that of duct tape.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 12:15
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Slow days at work are rare lately. I've been earning those tax dollars.

I have been avoiding the subject of paint colors for 2 years now. However I got the wheels blasted and primied recenly so am thinking about painting those before I put some temporary tires back on.

My 400 was originally Jade and Oynk (Paint code MV). I gotta tell ya, I am just not loving the idea of a black and white vehicle. I want something brighter. The image below is from a 400 that was for sale a few month ago in Spokane area. I believe its Jade and Topaz but its reversed from the usual scheme that has Jade above and below.

What do you guys think?

Attach file:

jpg  (20.51 KB)
5209_555628ac7fe48.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2015/5/15 12:20
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Black & Silver is a great combo, Blk & Dove Grey, Irish Mist...

Posted on: 2015/5/15 14:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved