Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 187

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: First Production 1955 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The cutout in the upper grill bar, I think that was an early item too, or do I have it backwards?

Do the controls for the propane allow it that to switch it back to gasoline?

The bumper is the same as other 55's I have seen. I assume they had leftover 54 stock to use? That is how you can tell 55 from 56 bumper and end pieces. The 55 had a step to match the filler panel, that the 56 did not need, because no filler panel.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Do the controls for the propane allow it that to switch it back to gasoline?

I was told by Steve that the pull control and toggle switch would allow the driver to switch between propane and gasoline. I believe these controls worked the unit mounted on the cowl. Propane refilling stations were not always convenient and the system was designed for an engine to run on gasoline or propane. That's what I was told.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/11 14:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I find the Propane option pretty intriguing, could somebody elaborate?( Looks like a search is in order)It would be just the ticket for warehouse or underground mine operation...
Another thought occurred to me, perhaps this car was lovingly disemboweled for long term preservation, kinda like they did in ancient Egypt
Back to relevancy, there was a crashed '55 Clipper in Fl recently on Ebay, a car like that could yield a great many parts. This tread could make for a great sticky.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi JW

Thank you so much for these documenting photos, whatever its fate, these are an invaluable record.

The left tailight looks to have the standard production lens. I recall among the items handmade for The Request were the tailight lens. Since its the third 400 hardtop built, I was curious if other early production cars might also have had handmade tailight lens.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/2/11 19:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
When we moved to Calif in 1953, one fellow there had a Chevy or GMC pickup that would run on either propane or gas. All he had to do was throw a switch to go from one to the other. It seemed to work flawlessly.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A few more photos showing some miscellaneous parts and views of the Patrician in the yard. This should do it for the photos. Hopefully, the car will go to someone who will appreciate it and restore it to its former status. We may even be able to trace its ownership history. I plan on transferring my photos to a CD and giving it to the Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio. It's been an interesting and rewarding experience.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (56.01 KB)
565_52fbb8c674066.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.07 KB)
565_52fbb8dd141a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (59.38 KB)
565_52fbb919dd532.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.75 KB)
565_52fbb93035765.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 13:13
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Are my eyes playing tricks, or does the left quarter now have a crease in that picture, that it did not have in the coming out of the garage picture?

Posted on: 2014/2/12 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The cutout in the upper grill bar, I think that was an early item too, or do I have it backwards?

The cutout for access to the hood release is on my 56 Pat and 400. I thought it was there on all 55 and 56.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Are my eyes playing tricks, or does the left quarter now have a crease in that picture, that it did not have in the coming out of the garage picture?

I went back and looked at the Patrician being removed from the garage, and could not see a dent in the LR fender. Good catch. I guess Mark should file a damage report with himself.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/12 17:49
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
While looking at the Patrician and going through all the photos, I was impressed with how well this car is equipped. It has most if not all the factory optional equipment except air conditioning which may not have been available for the early cars. It seems to me that a scenario about its life would have included a time with the PMMC's executive fleet. Being the first senior sedan, keeping it near the factory for evaluation and observation would be a logical action. Then, after a couple of years in service, sold on the secondary market, perhaps to a location remote from Detroit. I don't know if this is the case, but it is fun to think so.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/13 12:53
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved