Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

Ross, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: '55 engine back to life! Mostly worked...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I had a rough idle/performance and noise issue with the Wife's '55 Caribbean. I thought it might be in part due to the carbs or a sticky lifter. Paid the area carb expert (retire owner of a carb rebuild shop) some $$ to listen to it.

His recommended cure was to drain a quart of oil and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and to run it until it got to temp, let it cool down and then repeat the process three or more times during the day.

To my surprise, after the third cycle things were greatly improved. And a few more it was gone. 2000 miles later I have diagnosed it cure. The best 10 bucks I've spent on cars this year as my time is better spent having clean hands and a

P.S. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving

Posted on: 2018/12/4 3:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BTR
See User information
Congratulations on your rebuild. We are just starting a rebuild on my friend's '55 Patrician.
I am looking ahead to wanting to install the crankshaft vibration damper, and am wondering about the "installer J-5992-3, and spacer, J-5992-4."
I want to place it correctly against the "crankshaft oil slinger," etc., without overtorqueing.

How did you solve this? Is there a source for the tool, or dimensions for a copy?

Thanks for any time you spend on this.

Rick

Posted on: 2019/1/16 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Installing the vibration damper (or harmonic dampener) was very easy. I rented the standard installer kit from Advance Auto parts. After cleaning the crank 'snout' and adding a little bit of anti-seize, the damper slid right on with the tool. Make sure to remove the extra pulley for the power steering if so equipped. Add it after you have the damper bottomed out. If unsure, look at it sideways and make sure the damper pully part where the V-belt goes s in plane with the generator.

Good luck, don't sweat this one.
-Bob

Posted on: 2019/1/17 0:18
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved