Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

packard1949, Don B, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Oil filter decal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think an original engine section would be very beneficial...

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Just some food for though on the fill tubes.....

The Judging Guide has an interesting note the Road Draft tubes. They were painted engine color from the factory. But replacement tubes came in only black. Perhaps the oil fill tubes were the same and came from the supplier in black, and after being installed on the motor at the factory, the entire motor was then painted.

I guess the only way to test this theory is if we find someone with an original painted tube, and scrape away some of the paint to see if there is a black layer underneath.

Maybe if someone has an original tube, they could remove it and see if the end that goes in the engine is black. The pic I posted seems to show the black covers the whole unit. That would support the supplier sent them in black theory. I don't know how hard they are to take out though.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 7:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I have a pile of nos oil filter outlet tubes for the 1951-54 models and they are all unpainted.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information

Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:33
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
51Packard, just a thought, are we perhaps confusing the oil filler (tube) line with oil filter lines? Oil filler tube is painted, oil filter lines are not.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Yes I am! I misread his post. Sorry. Deleted my previous one. Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/4/21 6:51
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Guys, these pictures are from the June 1951 Scientific Diagnosis Serviceman's Training Manual. These pictures show the oil filler tube as being engine color. You can clearly see that fill cap is black, while the tube is not. Being June 1951, this would be almost a 9 months into the model production.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.93 KB)
1_4bcfd7c7879ca.jpg 440X323 px

jpg  (22.86 KB)
1_4bcfd7ee59855.jpg 440X327 px

Posted on: 2010/4/22 0:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
From my body # it appears my car was built very early and a brand new model. Since the PI judging guide says they painted the oil filler tubes engine color since 1940, changing to the new model probably wouldn't have made them change the color of the tube. I'm leaning toward the black being some kind of primer they used, or as you suggested, that they came from the supplier like that.

I just can't figure out why all of the gray would be missing on the ones I have seen. I saw another one on ebay a while ago that the guy "cleaned up". It was mostly bare metal with black patches of paint. No gray what so ever. I'll probably paint my tube engine color too, but I think the black looks better. Still would like to know for sure what the black is though.

If someone has an original tube and it's not a big deal to take out, please do so and post pics. I would like to know if the tube is black where it enters the engine.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 7:18
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My oil fill tube is black and it appears to be original like the rest of the engine. My Packard is one of the earlier 23rd series cars with the 10mm spark plugs.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:16
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Not to resurrect the dead, but I just HAD to proudly report that I have corrected the issue with my 23rd series oil filter setup after O_D correctly pointed out that my existing one was not period-correct. Ross very kindly offered me a spare filter (as well as the original, unpainted inlet/outlet piping); after some media blasting, a trip to the wire wheel, and priming/painting, I removed the old and installed the period-correct new. Everything was a perfect fit. I then added the correct decal as a finishing touch, followed by a glass of champagne. I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks to O_D and to Ross, my 2382 is a step closer to being as good as it can be.

Now I guess I can address the incorrect decal on my air cleaner!!

Attach file:

jpg  (115.69 KB)
610_4c35c01bc05db.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (76.04 KB)
610_4c35c02d8eaea.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2010/7/8 7:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
By the way, that's the before picture at the top...the after at the bottom.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 7:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved