Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Joe's '55 Clipper Custom
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also not sure if it is exactly the same of not, but Napa SL-134 is supposed to be a replacement for the 51-54 models. I think 55 (Non-TL) is the same. This switch was used on 60's Mustangs.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 23:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your car has torsion level, this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=16977#forumpost16977 will give you some options and also more replacement switch info. If you have power brakes there is some info on using a mechanical switch instead of the hydraulic.

No matter which system you have, all the old switches appear to be very touchy and quick to fail if using silicone fluid.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
for the help guys, I really appreciate it -- I went with the mechanical switch because that was just easier for me to do -- and its under the dash so I can see whats happening and test it if need be -- pretty easy job with all the input from here and my trusty Service Manual -- the previous owner made some changes under the dash, the T/L is controlled by a push button, flip the switch up and press the button car goes down, flip the switch down and press the button and the car goes up --- so that eliminated that portion of the switch --- i don't have the tools to fabricate a bracket (wife wanted to move closer to the city,therefore i have no shop) so I just made do with two hose clamps -- not the most glamorous installation but the goal was to have lights and now I do,so, I'm a redneck from Texas, its what we do ---- again thank yall very much for the help, made that A LOT easier!!! the other two shots are just for fun by the house, its like baby pictures LOL

Attach file:

jpg  (99.90 KB)
1757_4ab14a3f9d905.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (92.39 KB)
1757_4ab14b743884e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.71 KB)
1757_4ab14bf84026a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/16 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I sincerely hope no was injured during that earthquake that apparently occurred while video taping LOL

Some people report success with putting a drop or so of regular brake fluid directly into the switch before installing it.

Personally I'd rather run the new fangled heavy duty version of regular fluid especially if the car is driven fairly often. Sin-seth-tick is a PITA to bleed sometimes and the cost is asstronomical. The main benefits for a non-high performance application is it's resistance to moisture contamination (and the attending corrosion) and that it won't harm painted surfaces. It's ok with vodka but packs a helluva wallop the next morning.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:56
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:

I sincerely hope that no was injured during that earthquake that apparently occurred while video taping LOL

That was the result of an elderly gentlemen holding my cell phone, so the epicenter was directly at the site where the camera was based and only experienced by the camera man, who may have only needed a shot of whiskey to make a full recovery

Posted on: 2009/9/17 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Went to the exhaust shop today and got that fixed --- the butterfly valve at the bottom of the left manifold was the culprit for my leak -- replaced the mufflers with glasspacks so I can hear that baby, plus the old mufflers looked like they were tossed out of a low flying airplane --- and got rid of my rusty tips -- i love the sound and love the lack the leaks!! -- drove her all over town today, i just love it

Attach file:

jpg  (75.79 KB)
1757_4ab3cc48a4b56.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (60.75 KB)
1757_4ab3cc59858ad.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (53.18 KB)
1757_4ab3cc677307e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (62.34 KB)
1757_4ab3cc77c26d6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (53.19 KB)
1757_4ab3cc90ccd9f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
That's gotta sound better! Also, those glass packs are "period correct."

Craig

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
oh man, do i love that sound, i was going to go with flowmasters or smitty's but i was talking with some of our friends that happen to have been around in the 50's and 60's and all the kids were puttin' glasspacks on so i thought i would go with that and I love it ---

Posted on: 2009/9/18 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
If I hear one more friggin Flowmaster that'll be 100 too many. Gawd how I'm tired of that sound. Glasspacks have that wicked back-rap on decel which is so 50/60's. Yeah they don't last as long but that's the price you pay for that classic sound. Funny how some brand engines sound so different that others...I can't count how many times I've "spotted" an engine swap by ear. Pontyax sound quite a bit differenter than Chebbys as do Studes. Don't think I've ever heard a Packard running glasspacks though.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 18:20
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
i hear ya on how motors from different manufacturers sound different -- my old boss had a 68 buick skylark and that firing order or something made that thing sound sooo freakin' cool --- and yeah these glasspacks won't last long but they were also less that half the price --- i will post a video soon of the Packard with glasspacks so yall can hear it and see if you like it as much as i do --

Posted on: 2009/9/18 22:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved