Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 175

humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is a link to one discussion on removing the water distribution tube. I have removed several very easily using a long piece of threaded rod I got from Ace Hardware. I used threaded as it was a thicker piece of metal. Just bend about a 1/2" hook on the end and grab one of the holes at the very back of the tube. Don't pull from the very front.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12442&forum=4&post_id=128857#forumpost128857

I think I still have a spare one out in the garage if disaster strikes. I've pulled four of them and all of them have been in good shape, just a bit dirty.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Good info David, thanks. Now my next question for our panel of experts is about the thermostat - the parts manual shows a thermostat and some kind of retainer (5.0507, pn 348573). Is the retainer still used with a modern thermostat? What does the retainer do, exactly?

Posted on: 2014/2/22 21:47
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The retainer holds the thermostat in the housing. Yes, it should be used with a modern thermostat. I believe the retainer is a wire spring that fits in a recess in the housing. You may be able to make a substitute retainer. Most thermostats are 180F rated, I would try and find a 160F or 170F thermostat. Kanter and/or Max Merritt should be able to provide you with a new thermostat and retainer.

You may want to check in the Packard Literature and Manuals section on this site to see if there is a manual for your 200 you can download.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/23 13:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I have the manuals from this site, but the pictures leave a fair amount to the imagination and none of those parts were installed so nothing to go on there either. But, I also found a previous conversation an this topic here:
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=12223

I have a few pinholes in my housing but it's mostly good, so I'll braze the holes and get a retainer ring coming to go with the thermostat (160 deg) I already ordered. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/2/23 21:19
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
When I took out the front springs I thought that the "insulators" were installed on the wrong end of the springs, but that insulator is apparently just a thin gasket that goes on top of the spring (the flat end). So the parts that were installed in the bottom a-arm under the springs are obviously a spacer to increase the spring height.

The spacers are aluminum and are stamped "J-65" but I don't see any mention of them in the parts or service manuals. Is there a service counselor about them, or are they an aftermarket part and not a Packard part?

Attach file:

jpg  (42.79 KB)
34001_53129fbf4a563.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (23.56 KB)
34001_53129fcbc9611.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:05
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were lower cost 1/2 and 3/8 spacers issued for use rather than replacing springs for a front end strike thru issue. Conceivably your car could have had some installed. The Packard item does not look the same and was to be installed on the upper end. Perhaps yours are aftermarket and some kind of noise reduction or maybe a dealer item. Service Counselor 26 # 8 mentions the issue.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
The other thing I put some time into this afternoon is my fuel pump, I ordered a rebuild kit from Then and Now and since today's high temp was -11F I decided to work in the heated shop rather than on the car in the hangar.

The diaphragms were both rotted and torn, not surprisingly, and the spring on the vacuum side was broken and pieces were floating around inside the pump. So we know the wipers hadn't been working for awhile!

Also, there are two vacuum connections on the top of the pump, one is marked "in" and the other one has been crimped shut (poorly, it leaks). There was a vacuum line that ran from the pump area (it wasn't hooked up when I got the car) which I'd assume would be hooked to the "in" tube, correct? What should connect to the other tube, the one that someone crimped?

Attach file:

jpg  (48.22 KB)
34001_5312a40d7d674.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (38.90 KB)
34001_5312a5ea47698.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:35
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pump is in series with the wiper motor. Vacuum starts at the manifold & goes to pump outlet. Inlet side connects to wiper. The manifold goes thru pump which is just a secondary source and is normally weaker than manifold. The way valving is oriented manifold just keeps them open and pulls thru. If the engine is under load and manifold vacuum is weak or absent, then the pump will be stronger so the valves will operate. Pump will provide an adequate but not spectacular amount of vacuum so the wipers won't entirely quit.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
"There were lower cost 1/2 and 3/8 spacers issued for use rather than replacing springs for a front end strike thru issue. Conceivably your car could have had some installed. The Packard item does not look the same and was to be installed on the upper end. Perhaps yours are aftermarket and some kind of noise reduction or maybe a dealer item. Service Counselor 26 # 8 mentions the issue."

I should have just asked you directly, Howard - you are a fountain of knowledge. This board is so useful, I really appreciate the ability to tap into such a large knowledge base from you and many others here. I wish that this car had come with a trove of manuals or something so that I could contribute to the site, but had there been anything in there the mice would have gotten it anyway. So I'll just keep asking as I go.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:45
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
OK, I understand the vacuum plumbing now. Would the manifold source come from the connection at the rear base of the carb? There was a line running from that spot to the wipers, and the line coming from the fuel pump was disconnected and hanging loose at the wiper motor. I don't see any other spot for the manifold - fuel pump connection.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.01 KB)
34001_5312ae21881c0.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/3/1 23:07
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved