Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

Ross, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes I will. He's in Atlanta and won't be in Ft Lauderdale till Thurs. Then a week to 10 days to get here.

SPACER: When we switched carbs we removed the manifold spacer. The Stromberg is a good 1/4" taller than the Carter. To keep the air cleaner perfectly level, we removed the spacer under the Stromberg.

I wonder if that affects performance? I've asked this question by email to the guys at Daytona.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes I will. He's in Atlanta and won't be in Ft Lauderdale till Thurs. Then a week to 10 days to get here.

SPACER: When we switched carbs we removed the manifold spacer. The Stromberg is a good 1/4" taller than the Carter. To keep the air cleaner perfectly level, we removed the spacer under the Stromberg.

I wonder if that affects performance? I've asked this question by email to the guys at Daytona.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you, if that is the same person that has this on ebay, I told him that the 1940 uses a 21 gallon tank, and the 1941 uses a 20 gallon tank, what might the difference be?
Thanks

Posted on: 2018/5/13 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
He is having the buyer of one of his tanks who has a '40 call me, so I can see if there are fitting issues.

EDIT I've heard it's a 20 gal for the 40 120 - seniors.

50 years ago I would have told you I had a 22 gal tank, but that one is long gone...if it was 22. I think the 40s have 20 gal tanks...but they are not the same part number as the '41 '42

Posted on: 2018/5/13 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
In the Packard 1940 owners manual, and an original Motors Manual lists a 21 gallon tank for 1940, and the Motors lists 20 gallon for 1941 seniors. But might be wrong, or there really is no difference? Thanks for your assistance.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I forgot to check capacities. You're absolutely right. '40 has a 21 gal tank. He told me his is 20 gal. '41-'42

We'll see what the '40 buyer says.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yep, that is why I did not purchase a tank until I heard from other customers first. He told me he had a 1941 senior tank that he can copy and that is all the information he could supply. If it is a no go perhaps one of us might send him one of our 21 gallon tanks?
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 22:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
FWIW I met Mauricio in person about 10 years ago when he was restoring the limo. I am nearly certain Noel bought a tank from him several years back for his 41-160 coupe. I'll ask him ....

DAF

Posted on: 2018/5/14 0:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
FUEL PROBLEM SOLVED: This morning I ran my fingers along the entire line clipped to the frame from the pump to the tank. I disconnected at the tank and pump and blew about 40 lbs of compressed air through the line. The other end had a rag taped to it, but just a little black stain came out with plenty of wind. We had a line coming up from the mech fuel pump and curving directly into the carb. 5 years ago or more I put a heat protective sheath on it.

John squeezed every inch of the line because you couldn't see the pipe and we thought we found a problem. It was a pinched off section that was hidden by the sheath. See photo with sheath and without. You'd never know.

We replaced the line and fittings. We went for a test drive, fully confident the prob was solved. But not so. We had the same result. We didn't even make it to the hill. We finally decided to remove my beautiful Stromberg and reinstall the beat up Carter. Guess what. The car runs as it should.

John thinks the floats may have holes in them. We did not open the Stromberg to find out. I'll be packing it up and shipping it back to Daytona to determine the cause.

Here's a little part of the test drive
http://www.mktx.com/packardTest4Suckcess.mp4

Attach file:

jpg  (32.10 KB)
1067_5afa2120d7437.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.99 KB)
1067_5afa212980d71.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/5/14 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
FUEL PROBLEM SOLVED: This morning I ran my fingers along the entire line clipped to the frame from the pump to the tank. I disconnected at the tank and pump and blew about 40 lbs of compressed air through the line. The other end had a rag taped to it, but just a little black stain came out with plenty of wind. We had a line coming up from the mech fuel pump and curving directly into the carb. 5 years ago or more I put a heat protective sheath on it.

John squeezed every inch of the line because you couldn't see the pipe and we thought we found a problem. It was a pinched off section that was hidden by the sheath. See photo with sheath and without. You'd never know.

We replaced the line and fittings. We went for a test drive, fully confident the prob was solved. But not so. We had the same result. We didn't even make it to the hill. We finally decided to remove my beautiful Stromberg and reinstall the beat up Carter. Guess what. The car runs as it should.

John thinks the floats may have holes in them. We did not open the Stromberg to find out. I'll be packing it up and shipping it back to Daytona to determine the cause.

Here's a little part of the test drive
http://www.mktx.com/packard/Test4Suckcess.mp4

Posted on: 2018/5/14 19:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved