Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

r1lark, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I for one have never seen a timing chain that was non-roller seat all the way to the bottom, don't know why anyone would think that it would.

I can't agree on the nylon/aluminium cam gear theory though, I've had more than one Mopar V8 that left me walking because of it. Change it out to a replacement roller timing set and never had another problem.

Speaking of roller timing sets, Fred, do you have any plans for getting someone to make a double roller timing set for Packard V8's and straight eights? I for one would be interested in buying a pair for my both my 356's.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 3:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
+1 on double roller timing sets. They're the only type i've worked with previously and why i was ignorant on the ride height of the replacement timing set. Every time i've installed a double roller it looked like it rode lower. Learn something new every day!

My only complaint about Kanter is their shipping policies. I bought the ultramatic rebuild kit with my timing set and it was $60 to ship it, although it was closer to an $18 UPS box. I know back in the day you didn't have access to instant shipping quotes to give a customer a total on the phone, but with today's systems that has changed and you can usually bill actual shipping price (plus a couple % for margin/leeway).

I think i will be happy with the timing set, and i like the replacement water pump from Kanter because it seems to have 2 shoulders on the end to support both old and modern fans (the big 4 blade fan had a larger center hole, now i can run a modern flex fan.) I didn't check the water pump recently (it was a year ago that i got it) but i do remember that being a pleasant surprise.

The knowledge from the people there when i ask questions has always been spot on and friendly, and it's been great having fred post knowledge they have so that we can see why things are done the way they are.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Eric/Turbopacman:

I did not put forth any theories about nylon gear/aluminum sprocket equipped motors, what I did say was that I have taken apart motors with 100,000 miles with both nylon and iron sprockets , and found many to be in good condition. I stated facts that were personally observed. Yes, as you have experienced, nylon gears do fail.

My point was that while cars from the 20's/30's with 2" wide chains often needed replacement early, better metallurgy yields 100,000+ durability in modern engines with narrow chains and even nylon teeth yield high mileage.

The engine failure I have experienced with nylon tooth cam gears is from catastrophic disintegration of the nylon, not from wear. All were Ford products.

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/11 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, but do you have any plans on selling a double roller set for Packards?

I get what you're saying about the aluminium/nylon sets, but given a choice I wouldn't put one of those in my worst enemie's engine. Well, maybe one....

I'm still willing to do your parts analysis as well.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Eric,

When you say I put forth theories on nylon gears and I show you I have done no such thing, I expect more than an "OK" from you. There needs to be accountability on forums or they are almost worthless.

I agree with you, I wouldn't put nylon in my cars especailly old stock as I thing the old stock has become brittle. We have thrown out 1000's of old stock nylon sprockets.

On roller sets for Packards. Roller sets are useful on several types of engines, short stroke /hi revving, heavy duty,and exotic cam with high valve spring pressure.
Packards with their long stroke like the 356 will not be high revving thus do not need. Packards are not in HD use such as trucks.

Normal timing chains were known a "Silent Chain" vs the noisy roller chains in the early years. Luxury cars stress silence, thus the eventual market wide adoption of such.

You can have a set made at any good gear shop, the gear hob for the roller profile is standard. We have no demand for such an item and no interest in making.

Fred

Posted on: 2010/11/12 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Fred, my "ok" was me agreeing with you and moving on, I meant no disrespect by it at all. What I was referring to was this statement:
[quote]Modern V8's (80's) I've taken apert with 100,000 miles still have good chains and some have sprockets with nylon teeth
/quote]

Which I disagree with. All the ones I've seen with nylon have been trashed, but YMMV.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Engine has been coming along with everyone's help. Put in both new oil pump gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, new oil pan gaskets, new soft plugs, new timing cover and water pump gaskets, new fuel pump gasket, and new front cover seal. Will be putting on new carb, "hot spot", exhaust donut, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets after the motor is in the car. Hoping nothing leaks.

I don't know much about this motor or how it runs, it was kind of gunky inside, more so than my 288 by far, but my 288 had lots of nice clean oil running inside of it just 6 months ago, this one hasn't run and sat for awhile. If it doesn't smoke or knock and has good pressure, everything should be great.

Cleaned out a lot of the scale and put a clean distribution tube in and have a coolant hose filter to install so i can catch all the loose stuff in the coolant before it hits the radiator that's out being redone. After the filter stops collecting rust (which should be in the first week or so) i'll take it back out. New motor mount rubber up front, new belt, modded front plate and 51+ autolite generator mount up front with new brushes in the generator. New voltage regulator sitting on the shelf.

Just had the carb completely redone and it looks gorgeous. Both manifolds separated and sand blasted and have 2 coats of POR15 on them, the exhaust has manifold gray and the intake has black velvet. Both should be good to 1200 degrees plus, and the manifold grey is on my other car and held up nicely.

I moved the pertronix 6v ignition over from the 288 and have all the oil lines done with a liquid filled pressure gauge right by the dipstick in addition to the sender for the dash.

Just waiting on the chrome head nut covers and some small stuff and the tranny to be done before stuffing it back in.

If the spacer doesn't stick the fan out too far, i have 19" identical one to go on. I can use a 1" spacer instead of the 2" on there now and still use the bigger fan, but i won't know how close the 2" is cutting it until the motor is in.

Hopefully with all this work and redone and if the tranny comes out right, this should be one smooth running and driving car!

I know most of this isn't correct (the wrong filler tube, wrong color, wrong fan, wrong wires, etc. etc.) but i think it'll look great under the hood of my green car and i'll be proud to show it off instead of being embarrassed by all the chrome small blocks at the cruise nights.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.67 KB)
1420_4ce87f5be2de6.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (142.61 KB)
1420_4ce87f6c314af.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (142.05 KB)
1420_4ce87f786c044.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (131.21 KB)
1420_4ce87f80b8adc.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2010/11/20 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Mike , That is a beautiful looking engine. I have the exact same oil pressure gauge set up. A set of chrome head nuts will really be an nice addition.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Thank you! I think'll be handy to see exact oil pressure while working under the hood, and i think it was like $20 on ebay so it wasn't too pricey. I also think the head nut covers will tie in the fan and keep it from looking to gaudy or hot rodded.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Incorrect from top to bottom, but the real answer is if YOU like it....do it. Congrats on a great looking "mill"

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/21 0:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved