Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Universal Tire Company
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just adding some extra emphasis to Tom's caution. There have been fatalities attributed to snap rings popping off during inflation.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I was the safety manager for an Air Force Base for many years. We got many graphic photos of fatal mishaps involving split rim wheels. Take them to a professional truck tire shop that has an inflating cage.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually, no tire should be inflated unless it is secured. If the tire blows off a safety rim it will fly up and hit you in the head.

For snap ring tires, the unit should be wrapped with a safety chain or cargo strap. It should be inflated facing a wall using a known good tire pressure gauge and rubber valve stem extender as used on trucks.

After leaning against the wall for half an hour it should allowed to fall onto a blanket snap ring side down and left to sit. Preferably over night.

I have seen snap rings fly across the room without warning and smash into cars. But not on Packards.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Thanks all for the safety warnings. Before inflating we did wrapped a chain around the tire is two places and locked them before inflating them.

We inflated them with about 15 psi and then let the air out. Inflated to 30 psi then let the air out again. Inflated to 40 psi final pressure per the owners manual. So far so good I have not heard any loud noises come from the garage. :)

Posted on: 2013/3/18 18:45
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Sounds good.

The only time I've heard of Packard snap rings flying off was by high speed blow out. The snap ring and tire flew off and it went down on the rim. After that, he put lock plates on them.

I knew soembody else who had a non-Packard snap ring fly off and he converted the rims because the thought of decapitating, say a little girl watching a parade, was too much.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Once again the tires had yellowed I contacted Gary at Universal and he stated I had a few options. He would reimburse me some money and I would just have to clean them every year or option two was dismount them, send them back and he would send off a newer production run of the tires compare to the run I have.

I opted to dismount them and send them back. Even with all the exercise of having to dismount them I can't be happier with a company and person like Gary to stand behind the products they sell. We don't see that much nowadays. Thanks Gary at UVT.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 6:40
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved